Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks awesome! ;)

Oh, and just for future reference, when wanting to post pics after you've exceeded the attachment quota, you can just post the IMG code from the picture in the album and it will appear in the thread, like this:

You can also use a different image hosting site, I've found photobucket's upload time is considerably quicker.

Can you get the URL for the image while using the mobile app or do you have to be on the full website to do that?

After I exceeded my quota I started using Imgur to host pictures (for linking to this site while posting).

Can you get the URL for the image while using the mobile app or do you have to be on the full website to do that?

After I exceeded my quota I started using Imgur to host pictures (for linking to this site while posting).

I'm not sure, to be honest - I haven't used the app much. But my guess is you have to be on the website.

Anyone have an RO/DI unit they recommend? Looking to get one for shrimp and for softer water.

Anyone have an RO/DI unit they recommend? Looking to get one for shrimp and for softer water.

Check out bulk reef supply. I know one of our members used to organize a monthly group buy through them. You might wanna check the salty side and see if that's still going on. I think Carey might have been the one handling it, try shooting her a pm.

Ok cool. I was looking at the Aquaticlife RO Buddie and it seems reasonable. It has good reviews. 50GPD for 67$ shipped prime.

I think to finish my stocking I will add 4 More Rummies and 5-6 Pygmy cories.

Final Stock Should be:
German Blue Ram
Oto
Stiphodon Semoni
Peacock Gudgeon
Orange Gardneri Killie (It escapes me right now.) 5 Rummies
5 Harlequins
5 Pygmy Cories
I feel this is definitely my stocking limit. Anyone think I can do more? I saw a guy with 31 cardinals and 10 Otos in a 60P so I'm not to worried. LOL.

On a good note, I'll be setting up a small shrimp tank for either PFRS or CRS this weekend. Maybe I'll start a journal for that :)

31 seems like a bit much, but as long as everyone seems to have enough room, and your plants are sucking up nitrates, and other params are okay, I don't see a big problem with overstocking a bit... The only problem I've had with overstocking a small amount, was they seemed to startle each other at night, and I'd find a few jumpers every once in a while.

I'm not speaking from experience but I've been researching how to successfully stock my community tank and have been looking at some of the same species of fish.

Otos do better in groups and GBRs are better in male/female pairs, assuming they are a breeding pair.

You might have issues with a rimless open top tank and some of those fish, like Bill said, some will jump for various reasons. Killifish are big-time jumpers and can be brutish and hostile towards other fish.

I guess you can give it a try and let us know how it goes! Layouts with plenty of hiding places and plant placement that provides for "separate corners" may be the key to success in a well stocked community tank.

Small killifish are major jumpers and I do not recommend them in a topless tank. The ones we have are in the Nuvo 24g with a glass top to keep them in. We even have to watch doing WC's as the males will just fly right out of the tank. We've had to retrieve 2 males that did this.

Small killifish are major jumpers and I do not recommend them in a topless tank. The ones we have are in the Nuvo 24g with a glass top to keep them in. We even have to watch doing WC's as the males will just fly right out of the tank. We've had to retrieve 2 males that did this.

I noticed that actually. At night I see them jet to the too and then halt at the surface. I have a glass too coming in the next few days.

What do you guys think of adding a dime sized angel and letting it grow? The guys I saw at the LFS barely had any color yet. I would just rehome when it got too big.

What do you guys think of adding a dime sized angel and letting it grow? The guys I saw at the LFS barely had any color yet. I would just rehome when it got too big.

Might be stressful for a single, small angel along with active schoolers/feeders like tetras...

Don't you have some "exotics" like a peacock gudgeon and EBR already?

Might be stressful for a single, small angel along with active schoolers/feeders like tetras... Don't you have some "exotics" like a peacock gudgeon and EBR already?

I have a GBR and a Peacock Gudgeon. Haha I know I know. I have to think with my head.

Back
Top Bottom