Joey's Rimless 17 Gallon High Tech Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;)

I'm excited to start it up, just need to wait for everything to come - the chinese lily pipes probably will slow me down the most :lol:

What filter will you be using, Bud? You can always start the tank and add on the Lily pipes later. Not to mention the potential for hardscape layout and DSM if you wanted... although DSM bores they heck out of me! Lol

Mine took like 3 weeks to come in :(

Yeah, I'm expecting around the same transit time for mine as well.....estimated delivery says Oct. 11-30, so I'm hoping it's on the earlier end of that :lol: I ordered them on the 24th though, so I'm thinking it will be.

Other things are coming quicker though, the canister came today, the tank comes tomorrow, and the light will come whenever petco decides to ship it :lol:

What filter will you be using, Bud? You can always start the tank and add on the Lily pipes later. Not to mention the potential for hardscape layout and DSM if you wanted... although DSM bores they heck out of me! Lol

I'll be using the Fluval 105. Found a good deal on ebay, LOL. I possibly could do some degree of DSM, but quite a bit of it will be stem plants, not just carpet. I do think the lily pipes will come around the time I want them to, though, I'm shooting for about the middle of this month.

Sounds good Bud, I can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

Joey, I took water tests last night on my 60p. Ammonia is at 1ppm. I'm wondering if I should just leave it or do a PWC? I'm thinking the ammonia will help the BB thrive and grow faster for the cycle. What do you think?

Sounds good Bud, I can't wait to see what you got cookin'.

Joey, I took water tests last night on my 60p. Ammonia is at 1ppm. I'm wondering if I should just leave it or do a PWC? I'm thinking the ammonia will help the BB thrive and grow faster for the cycle. What do you think?

Are you doing a fishless cycle Brian? Did you add any seeded media?

Yeah fishless... I added a lot of well seeded biomax in the filters. Plus on the plants were from my established tank so I'm sure some BB hitched a ride on them as well. I just know aqua soil leaches ammonia like crazy...but I'm using a 50/50 mix of AS and Fluval Stratum so the ammonia wouldn't be as much... but given my 1ppm reading, it's certainly leaching nonetheless.

Joey... how long did the AS in your tank leach ammonia?

Yeah fishless... I added a lot of well seeded biomax in the filters. Plus on the plants were from my established tank so I'm sure some BB hitched a ride on them as well. I just know aqua soil leaches ammonia like crazy...but I'm using a 50/50 mix of AS and Fluval Stratum so the ammonia wouldn't be as much... but given my 1ppm reading, it's certainly leaching nonetheless. Joey... how long did the AS in your tank leach ammonia?

I honestly have no clue how long it leeched. Never tested either. I just know I added all my media and then about 5 days later I added some shrimp, my 3 neons, and a Cory. Even the Bee Shrimp that I added were fine. They are long gone though, the ram picked them off quick. Everything was fine. I read an article on TPT that when a Ph is below 6.7 ammonia is basically harmless because it gets turned into ammonium. With a Ph of 6.5 the true amount of free ammonia is .007 ppm. I just waiting till I saw diatoms and that was about 3 weeks after the tank had been setup. So it shouldn't be too long. I was so tempted to put a nickel sized Altum Angel in and let it grow out and then rehome it, but I had to think with my head.

Btw, I just noticed this strange behavior with the harlequins. Two of them separated themselves from the school and were swimming side my side mimicking each others movements. Ten they would swim upside down for a sec and rub around each other. Anyone have this happen before?

Btw, I just noticed this strange behavior with the harlequins. Two of them separated themselves from the school and were swimming side my side mimicking each others movements. Ten they would swim upside down for a sec and rub around each other. Anyone have this happen before?

Kinky :brows:

In all seriousness, though, that's what my silvertip tetras do when they spawn :)

Hahaha thanks for the laugh, bud. And the info ;)

I've seen various fish from tetras to minnows that would swim in parallel with the lower jaw open, fins upright and body arched. Same behavior has been observed with great white sharks. I think it is the male of the species asserting dominance.

Or it could be what bud said. (Bom chicka bow wow)

Tetra spawning behavior is pretty specific. .. dominance is them chasing each other off and fin nipping.

I haven't read about shark-like threatening but I'd love to see that documented... pls share link!

I had a pair of Harlequin's separate themselves from the school for a couple weeks. Finally they rejoined the school and their behavior was definitely spawning behavior. The female was really heavy with eggs. And with so many plants and such a big tank (they're in the 220) they were able to keep themselves separate from the school. The female was willing staying with that male.

Here's a link about parallel swimming amongst stream fish: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/res_area/loricariid/Armbruster_pubs/Parallel.pdf

About (ocean) sharks I was actually thinking more about the threatening posture (jaws agape, hunched back) they can display but not necessarily towards each other. Watched too much shark week.

Speaking of sharks, here is a link describing the "dance" between a pair of red tail sharks. Later it mentions that this act may be a pre-spawning ritual: http://emol.org/tropicalfish/redtailshark

Here's a link about parallel swimming amongst stream fish: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/res_area/loricariid/Armbruster_pubs/Parallel.pdf

About (ocean) sharks I was actually thinking more about the threatening posture (jaws agape, hunched back) they can display but not necessarily towards each other. Watched too much shark week.

Speaking of sharks, here is a link describing the "dance" between a pair of red tail sharks. Later it mentions that this act may be a pre-spawning ritual: Tropical FIsh TV: Red Tail Shark

Interesting article, thanks for linking it!

I haven't read the shark page yet but that should be fun too :)

Looks awesome! ;)

Oh, and just for future reference, when wanting to post pics after you've exceeded the attachment quota, you can just post the IMG code from the picture in the album and it will appear in the thread, like this:

79195-albums13296-picture62490.png

You can also use a different image hosting site, I've found photobucket's upload time is considerably quicker.

Back
Top Bottom