Just bought a 65 Gal! A few questions?! Is Xp3 relibale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alchemy129

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok here's my list of what i bought:

65 gallon tank 36'x18x24
Oak cabinet stand
Visitherm stealth 250 watt heater
Glass tops
36' light strip
3x 25lbs of mixed natural rocks
therometer
Aquasafe bottle

The tank is going to be lightly planted w/ stuff like java fern and is going to be a community tank of small sized tetra type fish and some rainbows later on.

Anyway i think i bought everything i need except the place i bought it from only carried a Magnum canister filter and that isn't appealing. So i just called my petsmart and they said they'd price match the Xp3 from there website for $104. I've read mixed reviews about Rena's but they seem to be favored here, are they reliable or do they often leak after a few months of use? My original plan was a Cascade 1200 but that would cost me about 120 bucks and a 45 minute round trip drive. I'm kinda anxious to set this thing up tonight and tommorow as i'm off both days so i don't think i want to ship unless you tell me not to get the Rena then i'll just go buy the cascade tommorow. But my local petsmart is literally across the street. and they will be open for 2 more hours tonight.

Second question, My tank is a little tall, 24 inches and i've heard from a friend that things like ADF's and cories will have problems in deeper tanks. Is there any truth to this?

P.S. I plan on cycling the tank but i would like to get started on that asap as i plan on going a head and adding some live plants and substrate from other tanks to it tonight to get the cycle going strong.
Sorry if i was rambling any, i'm kind of my excited the biggest tank i had before this was a 12 gallon eclipse so this is a whole new level.

I just bought an XP3, so I can't speak about long term use, but I don't see any joints on the cannister that can leak onto your floor after some use. It seems sturdy and well built with good flow. Easy to setup and easy to clean with the lift lever. Priming is easy enough with a cup of water into the intake tube.

It is quiet enough that you have to check the flow end to make sure it is running when you plug it in.

If you buy an XP3, make sure you get some bioMedia with it (i.e. anybody's Ceramic Rings, Matrix, or the Rena Stars) as it only comes with the 3 sponges at the bottom, a Bio-Chem Sorb (glorified Carbon) pouch, and a finishing pad.

Hope this helps.

I can answer the XP3 question, yes it reliable and one will be great for your tank, you can also use the nozzle to reduce the flow if you need too. Get it at Petsmart with the price match as you mentioned, and if you have any problems with it in the next month or two you can return it and exchanged it. Good luck.

I have heard of problems with them leaking around the power cord. I don't use the XP3 so I can't comment on reliability. BTW, the Cascade costs $80 from Big Al's and it's delivered to your door, no need for the 45 minute drive.

Fishyfanatic said:
I have heard of problems with them leaking around the power cord. I don't use the XP3 so I can't comment on reliability. BTW, the Cascade costs $80 from Big Al's and it's delivered to your door, no need for the 45 minute drive.

They leak around the power cord if they are not sitting flat. When you take the lid off, the water in the impeller area is separate from the main body. If the water pour off into it, the water level is too high and when you initially reseat the lid on it it may look like it's leaking out of the power cord. Under normal function, it is very reliable.

Ok i bought the Xp3 from petsmart and i'm goin to wait till tommorow to get it installed because i didn't realize i had so many open spots for media, i'll get some rena media in the morning. I did however already buy a big bag of Aqua Pure filter fiber to cut and fit into one of the slots, do I need to put this into one of those filter media tie pouches or will it be ok just in a seperate little bay. I already have the pouche its just whatever the best way to do it, i would think without it would be the way to go. When i buy the ceramic rings do i need to put these into one of those bags? and do i fill it up to the maximum that confortably fits into the bay? Thanks alot. Also when i went to Petsmart there equivalent to ceramic rings were like $18 so i didnt buy because i thought i saw them alot cheaper somewhere else, how much do these rings usually go for?

Did you pricematch their online price? You can get a huge discount that way. If not and you already opened it, buy another one on the price match price and return it with the old receipt.

Alchemy129 said:
Yes, I priced matched it for a $104.99, knocked off like 70 bucks.

I just did that last month. Great feeling, isn't it? lol

You'll be happy with your purchase here. I am.

Back
Top Bottom