Just started what steps should I take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do a 5 gallon water change, you could do less if its easier, I do 5 gallons because I have the water made for me in 5 gallon buckets so I use the whole thing, so whatever works for do and then put the the shrimp back in. You ammonia that's good, then you'll see other levels spike like nitrites and nitrAtes. However I NEVER saw nitrites in any of my cycles.

Im sorry but this is a total waste of money to do a water change during a cycle. I have NEVER done a water change during a cycle because this just delays the process. Why take ammonia out of the water just to put it back in? Just leave it as is and you will be fine. Dont ever change the water till the cycle is over then do a 50% water change and test again, If you levels are still good then go ahead and add fish.

Today my 40g just finished cycling. Took 2 weeks with 3 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of dry rock, No sand. My nitrates got up to like 70 during the cycle so I did a large water change today and my nitrates are down to ~30. So i will do another water change in 2 days and then add fish.

CleverBs said:
Im sorry but this is a total waste of money to do a water change during a cycle. I have NEVER done a water change during a cycle because this just delays the process. Why take ammonia out of the water just to put it back in? Just leave it as is and you will be fine. Dont ever change the water till the cycle is over then do a 50% water change and test again, If you levels are still good then go ahead and add fish.

Today my 40g just finished cycling. Took 2 weeks with 3 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of dry rock, No sand. My nitrates got up to like 70 during the cycle so I did a large water change today and my nitrates are down to ~30. So i will do another water change in 2 days and then add fish.

Ok... We can agree to disagree... Don't get all bent about it. My levels happened to warrant water changes in my opinion and I wasn't in any rush so... That's what I did, what I say isn't gold btw...

Like I always say, we ALL have our ways of doing things, that's what makes us different.

I'm glad you have never done water changes during cycles, I haven't changed the breaks on my 94 Honda yet...

You wanna quote me that's fine, to each there own. You came off a bit well you know...

Ok... We can agree to disagree... Don't get all bent about it. My levels happened to warrant water changes in my opinion and I wasn't in any rush so... That's what I did, what I say isn't gold btw...

Like I always say, we ALL have our ways of doing things, that's what makes us different.

I'm glad you have never done water changes during cycles, I haven't changed the breaks on my 94 Honda yet...

You wanna quote me that's fine, to each there own. You came off a bit well you know...

Sorry dont take it personally mate, theres just no reason what so ever to do a water change in the middle of a cycle. It doesnt help anything. you shouldn't have anything living in the tank anyways so what are you protecting? why wouldnt I quote you? i quoted you so that he knew what post I was referring to I wasnt speaking to you I was mearly disputing that because a water change will just slow his cycle and be a waste of saltwater.

CleverBs said:
Sorry dont take it personally mate, theres just no reason what so ever to do a water change in the middle of a cycle. It doesnt help anything. you shouldn't have anything living in the tank anyways so what are you protecting? why wouldnt I quote you? i quoted you so that he knew what post I was referring to I wasnt speaking to you I was mearly disputing that because a water change will just slow his cycle and be a waste of saltwater.

No harm done, sorry for that, I'm just exhausted and stuck at a family function that has been going on since 1pm today.

No harm done. I apologize.

Thanks guys, another question I used nutri-seawater and I really didn't get a big cycle actually none really at all. Ammonia went up to 1ppm and then back down. Is this normal for premixed water.

Tonynose188 said:
Thanks guys, another question I used nutri-seawater and I really didn't get a big cycle actually none really at all. Ammonia went up to 1ppm and then back down. Is this normal for premixed water.

The only way to know I you cycled is to add an ammonia source again and see if the tank converts it to nitrates fast. If so then I would say you are done. I never got a big one either. Used cured live rock and mine was fast

The only way to know I you cycled is to add an ammonia source again and see if the tank converts it to nitrates fast. If so then I would say you are done. I never got a big one either. Used cured live rock and mine was fast

if you have rooting shimp in the tank that have been in there for over a 3 days and you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite then you are probably cycled. Sometimes you get lucky and dont have a cycle if you use enough live rock/sand/water. Iv never done this so never experienced a quick cycle.

22engine said:

Are snails, or cleaner inverts an ammonia source, only cause ill be buying them tomorrow to clean the brown algae from my tank.

Not really a source but seeing as you did have some you may be all set. Just have to test regularly for a little bit to watch the levels. If you get swings in ammonia and trites and trates it can kill the inverts. They are sensitive to changes more than fish. Like i said you should be ok. Just have some water ready to do a change if something does pop up.

22engine said:
Not really a source but seeing as you did have some you may be all set. Just have to test regularly for a little bit to watch the levels. If you get swings in ammonia and trites and trates it can kill the inverts. They are sensitive to changes more than fish. Like i said you should be ok. Just have some water ready to do a change if something does pop up.

I got the snails/ hermits I also noticed some life on the LR and what to me looks like coralline algae check it out. Does this mean my cycling is looking good.

Attachments

• image-480357743.jpg
    image-480357743.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 84
Tonynose188 said:
I got the snails/ hermits I also noticed some life on the LR and what to me looks like coralline algae check it out. Does this mean my cycling is looking good.

Hard to tell but one looks like a feather duster but two of them look like apsatia. As Long as you had ammonia and then nitrate you should be good.

Looks like all my hitchhikers died but one big snail and a few small ones. There was a crab but he hides and I haven't seen him, hope he Floats if he dies. Ammonia is at like 8 ppm!

Horvy19 said:
Looks like all my hitchhikers died but one big snail and a few small ones. There was a crab but he hides and I haven't seen him, hope he Floats if he dies. Ammonia is at like 8 ppm!

How long has your tank been up and running and what do you have in the tank

Set it up the 15th of this month. Live rock the 16th, raw shrimp the 18th, raw shimp out the 20th. Been running the lights just the last few days.

Horvy19 said:
Set it up the 15th of this month. Live rock the 16th, raw shrimp the 18th, raw shimp out the 20th. Been running the lights just the last few days.

Did you use pre mixed sea water or mix your own? I been running since the 15th, and I am not gettin any movement on my ammonia, I added the shrimp and it smelled up my entire house, I had to get rid of it a day later .

8 seems a bit high for ammonia. Usually people take out the shrimp when ammonia reaches 4 or 5. Your cycle hasn't started maybe b/c you don't have enough ammonia. Since the stinky shrimp method didn't work too well for you I'd suggest going to a hardware store and buying pure ammonia to dose in your tank. This is what I did for my tank. I would add it and wait until ammonia and nitrites reached 0, and I would repeat this several times until ammonia and nitrite turned to 0 within 24 hours. Then the cycle is over.

Back
Top Bottom