Just started what steps should I take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obscurereef said:
8 seems a bit high for ammonia. Usually people take out the shrimp when ammonia reaches 4 or 5. Your cycle hasn't started maybe b/c you don't have enough ammonia. Since the stinky shrimp method didn't work too well for you I'd suggest going to a hardware store and buying pure ammonia to dose in your tank. This is what I did for my tank. I would add it and wait until ammonia and nitrites reached 0, and I would repeat this several times until ammonia and nitrite turned to 0 within 24 hours. Then the cycle is over.

Can I do this with the snails I put in there or will they die? And is the Pure ammonia different from the ammonia at the supermarket and how much for a 30g tank should I put in. Is bio-spira the same thing??

The snails won't be a huge source of ammonia...they will most likely die if there is ammonia and nitrite in the tank (added my CUC w/ 20 ppm nitrate). If they do die and you don't take them out, there's the source of ammonia (just like the rotting shrimp), but that will stink too. I got this ammonia Ammonium Chloride Solution | Fishless Cycling | Aquarium Cycling and had to add 1 drop per gallon, but the ones from other stores might have different concentrations. Bio-spira is basically bacteria in a bottle that will help with consuming the ammonia and turning it into nitrite, etc. If you add it, you still need an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on. If you want to get bacteria in a bottle I recommend Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifyng bacteria.One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria for Reef & Nano Aquaria | Ammonia Removal | Clean Fish Tank
He created bio-spira and then moved on to make his own. I used it and got the ammonia bottle free (if you ask for it). I accidently forgot to ask for it w/ my purchase so I called the company and Dr. Tim was the one who answered! Haha it was pretty cool...lol I felt like I was talking to a fish celeb. :lol: How nerdy :D.... Bacteria in a Bottle: Snake Oil or Worth Trusting? - YouTube The bacteria in a bottle isn't necessary, but speeds up the cycle.

If I just use my LR/LS a couple snails and some hermits will the tank cycle naturally, and about how long could it take? Just because I really don't want to be mixing all these different chemicals in the tank.

Tonynose188 said:
If I just use my LR/LS a couple snails and some hermits will the tank cycle naturally, and about how long could it take? Just because I really don't want to be mixing all these different chemicals in the tank.

Don't add any chemicals. You had an ammonia spike correct. Then you has nitrates correct

22engine said:
Don't add any chemicals. You had an ammonia spike correct. Then you has nitrates correct

Wouldn't call it a spike, think I may give it more time might spike up soon. Ammonia was at 1 and. Nitrites at 0 nitrates went up a little forgot the number not a lot tho.

Tonynose188 said:
Wouldn't call it a spike, think I may give it more time might spike up soon. Ammonia was at 1 and. Nitrites at 0 nitrates went up a little forgot the number not a lot tho.

I never had huge spike either and never have nitrites shoot up and I'm four to five months in now. Convict on here never saw any trites either and look at his tank. Just have to go slow adding live stock is all. I would test again and if everything is in range you could add one fish. After you do just test everyday for like a week to make sure all is well. That way if something does spike you can do a water change. After that I test once a week to make sure everything is good. Usually do it right before or the night before I do a change. Do u have a plan for you water change schedule.

Well I was going to do around 10% every 2 weeks until I get my RO/DI system in a few weeks but your idea seems like it will work.

When I get my ro/di system till then i will be doing bi weekly WC

Tonynose188 said:
When I get my ro/di system till then i will be doing bi weekly WC

Does your hold 29 gallons. The reason I ask is because I have a biocube 29 and it actually only holds about 22 gallons of water so when I do a five gallon change I'm actually doing about 25%. 29 gallons is what the tank holds empty but with live Rock is takes up space. Know what I mean. So if you are doing 5 gallons u might be doing more than 10%

Forgot about all the surface area so maybe ill do 2-3 gallons then.

Tonynose188 said:
Forgot about all the surface area so maybe ill do 2-3 gallons then.

If you were doing five I would just keep doing it. I do five a week

Came home from work and checked my levels. Amm. =4.0 nitrite=.50 and nitrate=20. Did a 10% water change cause my Amm was still 6 or 8 this morning. Hopefully just a few more days? I'm so impatient should I get a fish or a coral first?

Bio cube in tank refugium any links on a simple setup that can go right in the back of a 29g nano. What are the benefits? And do I need a light and a skimmer?

Horvy, You should add a fish first as they can tolerate higher nitrate than coral (not as sensitive). I recommend not adding a fish until your nitrates are about 20 ppm.
Tony, A refugium/filter modification:
Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies
You don't need a skimmer, and most skimmers for nano aquariums don't work too well anyway. Just do more frequent water changes to control the nitrates and don't overfeed.

obscurereef said:
Horvy, You should add a fish first as they can tolerate higher nitrate than coral (not as sensitive). I recommend not adding a fish until your nitrates are about 20 ppm.
Tony, A refugium/filter modification:
Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies
You don't need a skimmer, and most skimmers for nano aquariums don't work too well anyway. Just do more frequent water changes to control the nitrates and don't overfeed.

Thanks for the link, from top to bottom how is the setup and do I need a light in the tank or just over it.

! Ammonia is almost down to nothing! So now I just wait for nitrite to come down to? And do a water change after that right?

Horvy19 said:
! Ammonia is almost down to nothing! So now I just wait for nitrite to come down to? And do a water change after that right?

Yes. Test your nitrates after too. Those will rise as the nitrites are converted then to water change or changes to get the trates down to as close to zero as you can before you add anything

Got some livestock!!! Had the clowns for 6 days water prams. Are awesome so went to LFS and got some beginner coral. I don't know all the names and if there are placed in good spots so let me know..

image-3979643232.jpg

image-3599883948.jpg

image-1644563138.jpg

image-1212459971.jpg

image-2246702394.jpg

image-2120405467.jpg

Back
Top Bottom