Just Starting Out and Need Some Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cr130

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am interested in starting an aquarium but have some questions before I start buying anything. I am an absolute beginner so bear with me I only have been reading the posts on here for beginner’s and I have been reading a few books about fish. I am thinking about getting a 20 gallon tank (that is as big as I can fit in my house) and have a few fish. I wish thinking of getting,

- Guppy
-Neon Blue Guppy
-Golden Guppy
- Swordtail
-Red Wag Swordtail
-Black Swordtail
- Platy
-Tuxedo Platy

These are a few of the fish that was recommended for beginner’s, are these good choices? Anything else I should add? Also, I am having trouble deciding how many fish to buy. I have heard the 1in rule but heard it is not strict. If I picked these fish and any other suggestions, how many should I get? I am not planning on getting to many decorations but do want plants. I am still doing research but wanted to start to get a list together of what to get. Thank you in advance for the help.

Your Tank

Hello cr...

Welcome to the "water keeping" hobby. You'll find a million different answers to the same question. That's because this isn't an exact science. There are countless ways to succeed. I will tell you that you should get the largest tank possible. I started with a 30 gallon and should have gone with a 55. The larger the tank, the better your chances to succeed in this hobby.

As far as the fish you've selected, Livebearers are good. Mostly peaceful together. Your male Guppies however, will be bothered by the others because of their fancy tails. If you heavily plant the tank with stems of Hornwort before putting those fish into the tank, this will help.

B

Hi!
The answer is there are too many answers, lol!
The above poster was right, get the largest tank you can, as larger tanks are actually easier to care for (more stable water parameters).
Live bearers like guppies, plagues, Molly's etc are easy fish, although there are many others that are easy as well.
The best thing to do IMO is research a bunch of different fish, and see what interests you, don't necessarily confine yourself to "beginner fish"!
Important things to consider for your new tank are lighting and filtration. Personally I like to overfillerter my tanks, by using filter('s) that are rated for a larger tank size than I have. This is especially important with heavily stocked tanks.
Lighting is important if you are going to have natural plants, as the intensity will limit your options. Very few plants can be grown with standard (read come with the tank) lights.
The number if fish you can have depends on a lot of things. The 1inch per gallon rule is a guide, but by no means is it everything. Also remember that less is more, in that it is easier to properly care for an under stocked aquarium than an overstocked aquarium.
Lastly RESEARCH, lol!
Read up on everything you can, both here and elsewhere so you have a good idea of what you're getting into! There are a ton of really helpful sites and articles online!
Have fun!

Thank you everyone for your reply's!! It is very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom