Juvenile Orandas fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, just to be sure I've got this straight - the new tank water has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate, and the pH is 7.6, right? And the old tank water has pretty much the same parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those are the old parameters, the new ones are:
Nitrate- 0 or 20 it was hard to tell
Nitrite- 0.5
pH- 7
Carbonate hardness- 240
General hardness- 180
Ammonia- 0

Typically British!

Yeah, those can be hard to read sometimes. If it's fresh from the tap, there really shouldn't be nitrites. If there are nitrites in your tap water, that's a problem, but I really doubt that that's the case here. Interesting that the pH is lower, as well.

I suppose it just needs a little while to settle. Chip is starting to explore now, Dale is moving a little bit & the pleco has buried himself into a bogwood covered in plant :)

Typically British!

Give them a few hours to settle. They probably realize they're in a new place. Last week I put my broadtail moor back in my big tank after a loooong time in quarantine. Her tail was badly damaged by one of my males who was desperately trying to spawn with her. She needed a lot of time to let it grow back, and it's still not back to normal, but it's much better. Even though everything was basically the same between the two tanks, she sat for awhile. By the next day she was cruising around just fine.

It's funny really, they loved being in a bucket for 10 minutes but now they're in a proper, bigger tank they're all scared XD Ooooh Dale's exploring around now, they do seem a lot happier :)

Typically British!

Oh, that's lovely! That tank looks like it's brand new! They're small enough that they'll be comfortable for awhile. One word of advice - really keep that gravel clean. I mean really clean.

I'm just so happy for you and you did a beautiful job making their new home! Sending you a big hug!

I gave it a really good clean when I got it the other day, they're was a really thick line of algae where the gravel sat & I scrubbed it all off. The plant on bogwood is half dead but it seems to be livening up a bit.

Thank you so much :) you've been a big help with all of this, I just hope they're happier :)

Here's a little size comparison picture...

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1409499951264.jpg
    1409499951264.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 44
My pleco has decided to investigate :) I don't know if you can see very well but I have the air stone inside of the ornament & there are bubbles coming out of it. Chip & Dale seem so much better, they're both swimming around & loving their new home.

Chip is playing with the bubbles & swimming through them, like that scene in Finding Nemo XD

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1409501501584.jpg
    1409501501584.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 1409501530696.jpg
    1409501530696.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 50
It was my pleasure to help you and I'm here if you need help again.

Check for ammonia and nitrite in a few days just in case the filter isn't fully cycled. Fingers crossed that everything will be fine.

You did a great job cleaning it for sure! Like I said, it looks like new! If you can shorten up that airline (maybe set the pump next to the tank) you'll probably get better air flow. The more surface agitation, the more gas exchange, which is a good thing. They will be much happier with the extra room. Kind of amazing when you can do a size comparison, isn't it? Then you realize how important it is.

It's very clear how much you love your fish. <3

I will keep you updated. There are loads of bubbles but my camera is really bad so they don't show up as well. I do love them, they're so cute & it's great to see them in a bigger tank :) they're so much more active. I'm thinking about maybe getting a floating plant to give them an extra bit of shade & hopefully it'll make the tank look more complete :)

Typically British!

Back
Top Bottom