Juvenile Orandas fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until just recently, my son worked at a large pet store. He applied and got hired. After he was there awhile, he learned from the hiring manager how they handle all the tons of applications they get. One of the key things he learned was that after they eliminate the ones with incomplete information, they only look at a certain number of them from the top of the stack and only once a week. So if you wanted a job there, it was important to apply repeatedly so that you increased your chances of being in that first twenty or so applications. He just happened to be lucky in the timing, and got a call right away. The next most important thing was follow-up. Don't be afraid to call them back. It really can pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

HI i think they are fighting because unfortunately to lack of space. Fancies although of a gentle nature usually and Orandas get on with blackmoor/ mixed breeds. They as a rule make good tank mates as they have simplar swimming speed so can eat without competiting too much but a space thank will be causing them stress and they will take this out on their fellow tank mates

I've got some great news! I'm getting a bigger tank today for my goldfish :) it's at least double the size of my current tank, so things are looking up! Will tell you the exact capacity when it arrives :D

Typically British!

That's great! Your fish are going to enjoy the extra room. It's so much fun to set up a new tank!

So, how hard is it to sit still right now? :)

Well, it was my friend's tank but they've decided they don't want to keep fish anymore so I've got their tank. I've barely cleaned the filter so it won't have to cycle & hopefully the goldfish will be in there tomorrow. I thought I'd give it a day to settle. I'm also going to use the old tank water to fill the new one so fingers crossed it'll be ready for them tomorrow. Also, the filter is massive! Woop woop!

Typically British!

Very cool! The fact that it also has a big filter is even better. I'm really happy for you!!

It really depends on how well established the bacteria are on the existing filter media. Some of the bacteria do live in the gravel, so it might have an impact if you replace it. If you're concerned about it, you could put a good amount of the old gravel in a mesh bag and let it sit in the new tank for a few weeks and let some of the old bacteria help seed it. Later on you can just remove the bag.

What I'd do is get the tank set up but leave the fish out. I would add plain ammonia (very important that there's nothing else in it) and dose the tank up to 2-4ppm and watch to see if it processes it all the way through to nitrate. If it can do that in about 24 hours, it's ok to put the fish in. If either ammonia or nitrite linger, hold off and wait until it can process it. You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 5-10 nitrates.

The only way you'll know if it's safe for your little guys is by testing it, so you might as well leave them out until you're sure. :)

If the tank looks clear today I might just bite the bullet & put the pleco in to see how he goes. But goldfish are pretty hardy aren't they? I'll test the water as well

Typically British!

I don't have an ammonia test but I got these other results from the water:
NO3- 0 or 10, it was hard to tell
NO2- 0
GH- 8
KH- 10
pH- 7.6
Cl2- 0
Is it safe for the fish to go in?

Typically British!

I'd be uncomfortable putting fish in a tank before I was sure there was an established bio filter. Especially if I couldn't test for ammonia.

Yes, goldfish are considered hardy, but what that ultimately means is that they just suffer a lot longer before something kills them. Ammonia causes burns and nitrite suffocates them. If you put your fish in the tank and it turns out that the bio filter isn't up to the task, you're going to have problems.

If you can get an ammonia test and do what I recommended above, that would be best. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom