Juvenile Orandas fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might see if I can get my mum to take me down to my lfs tomorrow & get their advice & an ammonia test kit as well. I just really want to put them into their new tank :( it looks pretty good though

Typically British!

I HAVE AN IDEA. What if, I do a water change in the new tank? & replace the old water with water from the water from the old tank & then put the fish in?

Typically British!

Lol! I was just responding and your post came in!

You could certainly do that, at least you'd be sure there's no ammonia in the fresh water. You should still get the ammonia test, though. You're going to want to test regularly to see how this new filter is handling the ammonia and nitrites, which is critical. If either of them start showing up, you'll need to do water changes to protect the fish until the filter can process them.

Believe me, I totally understand your excitement.

Yay!!!! I'm a happy fish mummy now :) I'll take 10 gallons out of the new tank & put all of the water from the old tank in the new one. My pleco is getting really restless, he never really swims around but today he's going mental, he's moving all of the gravel around & flaring his dorsal fin XD it's almost as if he's saying "just put me in the big tank already!"
Now I just need to wait for my boyfriend to come over, I can't do water changes by myself lol

Typically British!

I'd go with all fresh water in case there was ammonia present in the old water. There might not be any but since you can't test for it yet, you don't really know. The fish will be putting ammonia into the water once they go in, which will feed the bio filter.

As long as it doesn't slow water flow down, you can put the sponge in there. Do you know if the bigger filter was fully cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well from what my friend told me about the tank, the previous owner had the tank for a long time with the current filter & my friend had the tank running for a year until 5 days ago.

Will a complete water change not shock them? I did only put the new water in it yesterday

Typically British!

Ok, more than likely, it is cycled. Me personally, I'd want to be sure, so I'd wait until I saw that it could process ammonia all the way through to nitrate before I put my fish in.

As long as the pH is the same (or very, very close) all new water will not shock them. I change almost all the water every single week in my tanks and my goldfish are extremely happy and healthy. Clean, fresh water is the very best way to keep your fish healthy, no matter what anyone tells you to the contrary. I wish that myth would die.

I just asked my friend & she said that she cycled the tank when she got it, just to be sure. So how much of the water shall I change?

Typically British!

What is her definition of "cycled", though? A lot of people think that means filling a tank with water and waiting a few days. Which is not cycling at all. This is why I'd make sure first.

If the tank and filter have been running continuously for a long time there's a pretty good chance it cycled on its own, even if the previous owner didn't know what they were doing. But it might not be and it's just a perpetually toxic environment.

As an example, my son used to work at a big pet store. This lady and her husband came in wanting to know why all the fish they put in their tank kept dying. He got her to finally bring in a water sample. When he tested it, the ammonia was so dark green it was almost black. The nitrites were just as bad. Mind you, the water was quite clear. And this was a tank that was set up for well over a year. He told me when she saw how toxic the water was, she actually started to cry.

If you put all fresh water in the new tank when you set it up the other day, that's fine. If it has a mix of old and new, I'd be inclined to change it all. But that's just me.

Woah that's bad. All she said was she'd cycled it & that the previous owner was an experienced fishkeeper. So I think it'll be okay to put the fish in after the water change

Typically British!

You might be ok, but get that ammonia test and just keep checking the water parameters for awhile. If anything starts to go sideways, you can catch it early and save your fish a lot of harm and yourself a lot of trouble.

For what it's worth, I've never run into a single person in this hobby who was sorry they played it safe, but plenty who were sorry they didn't.

I got ammonia test strips, it came back as 0. I did a water change because it was still cloudy. I got QUICK START by API & put 30ml of that in & now the fish are in & they won't swim & they're just sitting on the bottom. I hope they're only scared of their new surroundings & they've not become shocked by the new tank

Typically British!

Back
Top Bottom