Lake Tanganyika display tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be moving in the next couple of months and once I get to my new place I would like to start setting up a nice display tank for my Tanganyika cichlids and provide them with allot more room. I am starting this thread to get ideas/ information and share my ideas and to be a build thread once I reach that point.

Overall look and theme:
This tank will be a very natural Lake Tang set up. I planned on a nice piled rock look in one corner and then extending the length of the back of the tank. Behind the the rocks I am going to plant some Italian Val (Vallisneria spiralis) or Jungle Val (Vallisneria americana).

Tank size:
I was originally going to go with a 210 but decided against it from a size/weight stand point. So now I am thinking a 125, 150 or 180, I plan to purchase a brand new tank so cost isn't a deciding factor. I am leaning more towards the 180 because of the extra floor space so I could some of the cool sand dwelling type cichlids.

Filtration:
Originally I was thinking of running dual FX5s but I was also thinking maybe a wet/dry or a sump may be good for this type of set up. The only down side is I know absolutely nothing about setting up/ running a wet dry/ or sump so if someone could point me in a direction for some good information that would be great.

Lighting:
I will admit I am a bit stumped on this part, lighting is not my strong suit so I will need some help on this one. I know the Vals I want to use require medium lighting. I will most likely be going with a stand and canopy set up so the lights will have to work in conjuncture with the canopy being on. So something I'll have to mount to the canopy?

Substrate:
I will end up mixing several types of sand to get a very natural looking sand that will match whatever color/type of rocks I end up getting. My question is should I put some type of planting substrate behind the rock work and then cap it with some sand?

Stock list:
The fish whose names appear in blue are currently in my 90 gallon the rest of them I will end up getting slowly once the display tank has been established. the fish I currently have in my 90 I think I will leave their numbers as is because they are likely to reproduce and add to their population, so I feel there is no need to buy more.

• Altolamprologus compressiceps Lufubu x6
  • Cyprichromis Leptosoma Bulu point or Blue Orchid x20
  • Julidochromis ornatus x6
  • Xenotilapia melanogenys Zambia or Synodontis petricola x6-10?
  • Vallisneria spiralis or Vallisneria americana
  • malaysian trumpet snail and assorted Nerite
If anyone has any comments,concerns or ideas for the stock let me know. If I go with some sort of Snyodontis cat over Xenotilapia I will most likely add a colony or shellies.

This is a great community and I know you all can help me get this all figured out.

:thanks:

I LIKE A 180. You can reach the bottom. A 125 not a lot of front to back. My 180 is in the wall so I don't have a canopy. I don't like them but I haven't had one for 25 years I guess they may be better now. Found them hard to move. I have a wet dry to a sump pumped to 2 NU-Clear cans. My stand is higher then most (10"?) more filter room. If there is anyway you can put a sink under it do it. Have fun.

Tank size:
I was originally going to go with a 210 but decided against it from a size/weight stand point. So now I am thinking a 125, 150 or 180, I plan to purchase a brand new tank so cost isn't a deciding factor. I am leaning more towards the 180 because of the extra floor space so I could some of the cool sand dwelling type cichlids.

I would stick with a 180g reef ready tank, it's got great dimensions.

Filtration:
Originally I was thinking of running dual FX5s but I was also thinking maybe a wet/dry or a sump may be good for this type of set up. The only down side is I know absolutely nothing about setting up/ running a wet dry/ or sump so if someone could point me in a direction for some good information that would be great. .

I run a FX/5 and a Aquapro sump on my 2 150's/180g. Sumps have so many advantages with very little negative issues(mechanical filtration is lacking). I also run a FX/5 in conjunction stuffed with Biomax on each tray although my stock is considered a heavy bioload. Here are the sumps I use. These are the quietest return pumps that I've ever used. Sumps are effortless to use, super easy to clean, and options on extremely vast from rock, bioballs, or pot scrubbies. Or even grow plants and use a refuge.

Wet Dry Filter System - Sealife Systems

Amazon.com: Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One Aquarium Pump 6000: Kitchen & Dining

Lighting:
I will admit I am a bit stumped on this part, lighting is not my strong suit so I will need some help on this one. I know the Vals I want to use require medium lighting. I will most likely be going with a stand and canopy set up so the lights will have to work in conjuncture with the canopy being on. So something I'll have to mount to the canopy?.

My light fixture is not to be used under a canopy(so mine are in storage) here is the fixtures I use on mine

Amazon.com: 72 in. AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture - 8 T5 HO lamps and 6 Lunar LEDs: Kitchen & Dining

Strong light, good timer, and loads of bulb choices. I'm sure they are cheaper options but a friend works for the company...so I see a substantial discount.

Substrate:
I will end up mixing several types of sand to get a very natural looking sand that will match whatever color/type of rocks I end up getting. My question is should I put some type of planting substrate behind the rock work and then cap it with some sand?.

I won't use anything other than black Tahitan Moon sand, but as your aware everyone has a different opinion. As far as plants all my cichlids are anti-plant so that's not a option for me but I'm sure some of the greenies can comment.

Stock list:
The fish whose names appear in blue are currently in my 90 gallon the rest of them I will end up getting slowly once the display tank has been established. the fish I currently have in my 90 I think I will leave their numbers as is because they are likely to reproduce and add to their population, so I feel there is no need to buy more.

• Altolamprologus compressiceps Lufubu x6
  • Cyprichromis Leptosoma Bulu point or Blue Orchid x20
  • Julidochromis ornatus x6
  • Xenotilapia melanogenys Zambia or Synodontis petricola x6-10?
  • Vallisneria spiralis or Vallisneria americana
  • malaysian trumpet snail and assorted Nerite.
I'm not a huge Tang guy but the selections look good, just give the shellies a small area of their own(they will quickly learn not to wander to far away). I prefer Multiplicatus or Angelicas($$$) over Petricola which would be my second choice of the Angels could not be found for a decent price. I have a breeder here locally that does Petricola and has won alot of awards for his.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
I would stick with a 180g reef ready tank, it's got great dimensions.
Thats what I was leaning towards, the reef ready all come pre drilled right?

HUKIT said:
I run a FX/5 and a Aquapro sump on my 2 150's/180g. Sumps have so many advantages with very little negative issues(mechanical filtration is lacking). I also run a FX/5 in conjunction stuffed with Biomax on each tray although my stock is considered a heavy bioload. Here are the sumps I use. These are the quietest return pumps that I've ever used. Sumps are effortless to use, super easy to clean, and options on extremely vast from rock, bioballs, or pot scrubbies. Or even grow plants and use a refuge.
So use an FX5 and a sump interesting, that's cheaper than 2 FX5 and I'd have a place for the heater. How is maintenance preformed on a sump? Allot like a canister I would imagine.Also how do you keep the whole tank from emptying on to the floor in the event of a power outage?

HUKIT said:
My light fixture is not to be used under a canopy(so mine are in storage) here is the fixtures I use on mine

Amazon.com: 72 in. AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture - 8 T5 HO lamps and 6 Lunar LEDs: Kitchen & Dining

Strong light, good timer, and loads of bulb choices. I'm sure they are cheaper options but a friend works for the company...so I see a substantial discount.

That is quite a fancy light, I was kind of set on using a canopy but this fixture would be a good way to go if I decide not to go that route.

HUKIT said:
I won't use anything other than black Tahitan Moon sand, but as your aware everyone has a different opinion. As far as plants all my cichlids are anti-plant so that's not a option for me but I'm sure some of the greenies can comment.

I normally only use that kind of sand as well but black sand isn't all that natural, whatever mix I use it will still be on the darker side. The fish I have don't seem to be to big of diggers so I am no to worried about plants.

HUKIT said:
I'm not a huge Tang guy but the selections look good, just give the shellies a small area of their own(they will quickly learn not to wander to far away). I prefer Multiplicatus or Angelicas($$$) over Petricola which would be my second choice of the Angels could not be found for a decent price. I have a breeder here locally that does Petricola and has won alot of awards for his.

That's the plan I had for shellies giving them their own area close to the front of the tank. I'll look into those other catfish.

You sound like me mogu lol. Already planning my 180. I personally really like the petricolas. I have some and they are always roaming around and go absolutely nuts as soon as I drop food in the tank. The rest of your stock list should be awesome. Good luck.

kdpuffer said:
You sound like me mogu lol. Already planning my 180. I personally really like the petricolas. I have some and they are always roaming around and go absolutely nuts as soon as I drop food in the tank. The rest of your stock list should be awesome. Good luck.

I like my 90 but I want them to have more room, then I can use the 90 as like a grow out or something.

The tank is pre-drilled with built in overflows, they only hold so much water when the pump not running. So you make sure the sump is large enough and not overfilled so when the power goes out the sump will hold all the water and then some draining from the overflows without overflowing onto the floor.

Actually the sump is more than a FX/5 when you consider the sump is $230.00 + $150.00 at least for a quality return pump. But the it has a much higher surface area and is the most efficient form of biological filtration because it uses atmospheric air. The only complaint I have(well my wife has) is the noise associated with running water, since I'm turning around 1200gph.

I put my heaters in the overflows since the water is running past them on the way the way down to the sump which evenly distributes the heat, that and the Eheim/Jager 300w are to large to fit the sump but either way I can't see them.

The only maintenance I've ever done is rinse the sponge and pre-filter pad, I have yet to touch the bioballs since when the prefilter is used and maintained properly there is no debris hitting the media. So all of this takes two minutes and is way easier to perform weekly maintenance over a canister(especially the heavy FX/5).

HUKIT said:
The tank is pre-drilled with built in overflows, they only hold so much water when the pump not running. So you make sure the sump is large enough and not overfilled so when the power goes out the sump will hold all the water and then some draining from the overflows without overflowing onto the floor.
Will I want to then look for a reef ready tank with single or double over flows? Seems to me 1 would be more than sufficient. Are the returns also drilled into the tank or do they come up over the back? Is there a way to calculate the volume of the overflows in a 180?

HUKIT said:
Actually the sump is more than a FX/5 when you consider the sump is $230.00 + $150.00 at least for a quality return pump.
I noticed that when I actually started to look at sumps so would I beable to get away with say a Fluval 405 with a sump vs the FX5 to cut down on cost or is the FX5 still a better way to go?

Will I want to then look for a reef ready tank with single or double over flows? Seems to me 1 would be more than sufficient. Are the returns also drilled into the tank or do they come up over the back? Is there a way to calculate the volume of the overflows in a 180??

I like the dual overflows since each overflow can only handle only so flow, for instance each one of mine is rated at 600gph.

I noticed that when I actually started to look at sumps so would I beable to get away with say a Fluval 405 with a sump vs the FX5 to cut down on cost or is the FX5 still a better way to go?

For as cheap as FX/5's cost anymore there is no reason not to choose one over a 405. But if your just using a existing filter I would think it would be ok.

HUKIT said:
I like the dual overflows since each overflow can only handle only so flow, for instance each one of mine is rated at 600gph..
So both over flows go down into the same sump? I am going to have to take some sump plumbing 101 courses >_<
I'll go look at some salty threads to figure it out.
HUKIT said:
For as cheap as FX/5's cost anymore there is no reason not to choose one over a 405. But if your just using a existing filter I would think it would be ok.
That is true I haven't looked into FX5s for awhile I had no idea you could pick them up for so little.

So both over flows go down into the same sump? I am going to have to take some sump plumbing 101 courses >_<
I'll go look at some salty threads to figure it out.

That is true I haven't looked into FX5s for awhile I had no idea you could pick them up for so little.

I did not hard pipe mine, there are two(supplied) hoses leading into the sump and one hose off the pump into a Y-fitting(sold separately) then two hoses(sold seperately too) up into the tank. Some people use PVC but that seems to permanent to me, since I get fry stuck in the overflows all the time I just remove the hose and down they come into a waiting net.

The FX'5's are selling for $205 shipped on Amazon, so why anyone would buy a 405 over that price is crazy.

Last edited:
The LFS that is in the area I am moving to has a 180 gallon oceanic glass with dual overflows and predrilled for 499.99 on sale normal price is 879.99 and the stand for 279.99. I need money stat!

The LFS that is in the area I am moving to has a 180 gallon oceanic glass with dual overflows and predrilled for 499.99 on sale normal price is 879.99 and the stand for 279.99. I need money stat!

That's a good deal, maybe they'll take a partial payment to hold it for you. If not in today's economy there will be more deals to come, I got my 180 new with stand, tank, and sump/pump for $800 from a guy going through a divorce( he just spent $1900 a week prior but needed to sell it quick).

Well the sale runs all weekend an even if they are out of them they will special order one for me and I pay the sale price.

Also do you know what an "overflow kit" is?

That's a sweet deal man, I priced a 180 it works out to what your paying for everything just for my tank. FYI plumbing is easy just remember that "water" flows downhill and don't lick your fingers and you will be fine lol. Oh and glue all your joints.

Sadly I was not able to pick up the tank during the sale like I had wanted to but I will still end up getting this setup, may just be this winter instead of fall. Anyway here is some of the ideas i have based off my research.

Tank:
180 gallon reef ready with dual overflows, black pine stand. I am still undecided on the canopy.

Filtration:
Wet/dry + Fluval Fx5

These are the wet/drys I was looking at:

Lighting:
This is still dependent on the canopy but I was looking at these:
Stunner LED Strips - Aquarium LED Lights

Substrate:
I will go with the CaribSea Cichlid sand, I know it will be expensive but It will look good. Also I was thinking of putting some sort or Iron rich plant substrate like laterite under the sand in the back for the Vals.

Stock list:

• Altolamprologus compressiceps Lufubu x6-8
  • Cyprichromis Leptosoma Blue Orchid or Benthochromis x20
  • Ophthalmotilapia ventralis x8 2 male 6 female
  • Synodontis lucipinnis x10
  • Lamprologus meleagris x6
  • Vallisneria americana
  • malaysian trumpet snail and assorted Nerite

Back
Top Bottom