Lighting for a 3 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone had a good, relatively inexpensive lighting suggestion for a 3 gal. shrimp tank.
I asked a little while ago with no replies, and thought I would try again. I am going to be trying for a HC carpet and a taller background plant.

If it's something unconventional, then what bulb would i use with it too?

thanks!

I have a 2.5g shrimp tank that I'm going to just put a 10-15w bulb from Walmart in. They have some good ones there that are cheap, like $5! Good luck! Oh and what shrimp are you putting in there?

I was planning on trying some crystal red shrimp, even though I've never had a shrimp tank before, I think I'm up to the challenge of keeping them alive. I have an extra cycled AC20, and I think that will keep good water parameters.

So you're just going to use a regular compact florescent lamp/bulb, or something? I'm not sure about bulb temp for those or anything, so I'm a bit wary. I'm going for a HC carpet and maybe some dwarf hair grass in the back, and they are kind of light intensive.

What plants were you planning on?

lanceuppercut said:
I was planning on trying some crystal red shrimp, even though I've never had a shrimp tank before, I think I'm up to the challenge of keeping them alive. I have an extra cycled AC20, and I think that will keep good water parameters.

So you're just going to use a regular compact florescent lamp/bulb, or something? I'm not sure about bulb temp for those or anything, so I'm a bit wary. I'm going for a HC carpet and maybe some dwarf hair grass in the back, and they are kind of light intensive.

What plants were you planning on?

Yeah I'm just going to use a florescent light bulb, nothing too fancy:). I'm putting some red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp in there, and in another tank (8 gallon) I'm going to put bee shrimp in, which are the cousins to crs. I'm putting marimo balls, guppy grass, and java moss in there if I can find all of those...

those are all very common plants, so you shouldn't have much trouble.

Where do you get your shrimp?

I was going to get mine from aquabid, but was wondering if there was a better place.

anyone else have input on lighting?

Yeah I'm just going to use a florescent light bulb, nothing too fancy:). I'm putting some red tiger shrimp and yellow shrimp in there, and in another tank (8 gallon) I'm going to put bee shrimp in, which are the cousins to crs. I'm putting marimo balls, guppy grass, and java moss in there if I can find all of those...
That is the EXACT bulb I have for my 2.5 rcs tank and it keeps my guppy grass alive just fine.:)

those are all very common plants, so you shouldn't have much trouble.

Where do you get your shrimp?

I was going to get mine from aquabid, but was wondering if there was a better place.

anyone else have input on lighting?
Aquabid is probably fine. You can also post on here and see if anybody has any for sale. I got my rcs on here from jetajockey.

I haven't got any shrimp yet, well besides some ghost shrimp that I got from petsmart... Here looks like a good place: http://www.shrimpfanatic.com/2011/07/crs-sale-link.html I want to get some bee shrimp from there and it looks pretty good. I would also check aquabid because there are quite a few crs for sale there(y) but sadly not so many red tiger shrimp or bee shrimp:nono:

For my 1.5/2 gallon hex (not sure the exact volume) NPT, I use a clip on desk lamp from Lowes about 6" from the water's surface with a Sylvania 13W 6500K CFL. This seems to be medium/med-high lighting. It grows my water wisteria exceptionally well.

You could peruse the classifieds section on here for ads for shrimp. There are a lot of people on here who may have some they are willing to sell.

I have 2 3 gallon round tanks and I found two of those cheap desk lights at Walmart that came with a small bulb similar in size to the old Christmas lights and the flexibleneck from the base to the light. I positioned the light over the tank and it was good enough to grow some anacharis and some java moss with a betta and a tetra. Right now, with the school sales going on, you can get them for just a few dollars.

Good Luck!

:fish2:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom