Live Sand for Fish-only set-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have kept three freshwater tanks for a number of years. I'm finally going to take the plunge into Saltwater...

I'll be setting up a fish-only 75 gallon aquarium. I plan on putting in live rock. What about live SAND as a substrait for a fish-only aquarium? And how about this dumb question - can you mix a crushed coral substrait with live sand? Would there be any point in doing that?

I would go with about a pound per gallon of sand in there depending on if you want a deep sandbed or not. You can mix CC with LS, but I wouldnt recommend it. I dont think there would be any point to it other than personal preference.

LS is an easier substrate then CC. It requires less maintenance. You can mix the two if you like, but the sand (being smaller) will settle to the bottom, leaving the CC on top. You will still need to perform the regular vacuuming that CC requires.

I agree with the rest. I started with a sand/CC substrate. The CC looked great at first, but got to be a pain to clean. It will also limit your clean up crew and other sand sifting critters.

I would stick with LS only. I'm going to agree with the others that although it is personal preference, it may cause a headache in the future.

Live sand isn't needed. As to CC, ANY substrate will require maintenance........don't be fooled by anyone saying there's NO maintenance with this or that substrate. Any maintenance will be relative to the bio/fish load you have in the tank regardless if it's CC, aragonite or sand. You might look for the smaller size CC.......around 2ml..........it's easier to work with. I do a reverse flow UGF with CC and I have NO problems at all.

I would say go with the LS option, just DONT bother with the "live sand in a bag" at the LFS. It is highly overpriced wet sand. Just look for Argonite play sand at a Home Depot or Lowes. You can get a 50# bag for $4-5. I find that LS looks much better, supports a much more diverse pod and worm population therefore making a much healthier and effective substrate. With proper water circulation you'll get little to no detritus settlement on a LS bottom where as CC will collect much more "gunk" on the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom