Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another unfortunate death today :(. I feel like they aren't getting enough food. They're too shy! :/ They're almost always hiding but I have seen them take a few bites of food. Still I don't feel like it's enough. Hair algae is still on the rampage. Pulled out a few huge gobs after I got the fish out. I'll try to get some pics soon although, not much has changed.

i'm sorry :( how often do you feed them? if it's once a day, maybe try feeding them a few times a day (less food each time obviously) instead to see if they get more food. what kind of food have you tried? maybe they just need a little change-up?

do you have any excel? could you spot shoot the algae or is it just everywhere? how long is your light on? maybe you could cut it back a couple hours?

Mainly just flakes. I tried freeze dried bloodworms but they just won't come to the top. I could try frozen but I'd have to find the time to get it first lol. I'll try this weekend.

I don't have excel, not to mention I also have a val in there. And the algae is pretty much everywhere unfortunately. I've cut back on the light already, I usually don't have it on more than 7-8 hours.

i would try 6 hours. sounds like you have a little bit of an unbalance. you still gonna try out CO2? sounds like it might be a good idea.

if you are using freeze-dried food, pre-soak it. you want it to expand in water before your fish swallows it so it doesn't expand in their bellies. sounds like you might just need to try a varied diet. you could try pellets. i use frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in addition to flake food, and also try to do peas once in a while. i also pre-soak the flakes. they sink immediately that way, and, again, expand in the water instead of in their bellies.

I shall do that! :) I decided not to do CO2 until I know for sure whether I'm going to that school or not.

The next time I get the chance, I'll try to get some frozen bloodworms from the lfs. Although idk if they'll eat them because my hand movements scare them lol. I'll try though! I can try peas tonight, I have doubts though. I'll see about the pellets; what kind do you use?

i actually don't use pellets, but i am planning on buying these Tropical Aquarium Fish Staple Foods: Hikari Micro Pellets Food with my tiny embers in mind. i think they'd be perfect for your CPD's.

what do you mean they won't take the frozen blood worms cuz your hand movements scare them? how do you feed them?

edit: also, if you don't mind ditching your vals, you could dose excel to help with algae issues. just sayin :)

well with frozen bloodworms I thought you had to use tweezers or whatever to get it closer to them. I usually just put some flakes in and they'll get almost whatever goes toward the bottom. However if I'm nearby they won't eat out in the open.

i just dump them in, lol. i have these little cups that i fill with tank water, put the frozen cube of bloodworms in (or chunk of frozen brine shrimp, or flake food) let it soak for like 10 minutes, then dump in a little bit of it in each of my two tanks. you can try to dump and run :biglol:

Haha I shall try that! I can't get any this weekend, I'll be busy with orchestra and academic team. Maybe next weekend tho! :)

Just a thought, BUT, I'm wondering if I got a better filter, it might help my algae. The filter I have right now isn't so good and it's pretty slow. Maybe if I upgrade to, say, an Aquaclear, the improved circulation and better filtering (for lack of a better word) might help. Idk though, as I said, just a thought lol.

Update:
Got some of that micro food in the mail today. It's a lot finer grained than I thought lol. However, they seem to be eating it!!! :D I'm really happy :).

yay!! sooo glad they're eating it. :D I will be picking some up as well for my tiny embers ... did you get the hikari ones?

Back
Top Bottom