Malaysian trumpt snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duston4567

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are they bad. I purchased an fluvial chi from my Lfs and I purchased a Eco friendly subtract from them it is out of one of their tanks so it is seeded for my cycle. Well I have started to see mts. What should I do. Should I get rid if them I was reading that they are good. I am confused. What should I do before I add my plants and fish

They will eat any food your fish do not. They can breed (and fast) but that depends on how much food you give them. Overfeeding = overbreeding.

Reactions: HN1
You're actually lucky you ended up with MTS than what I got with my last order of plants from the LFS (pond snails UGH).
MTS are good because they clean up leftovers and actually burrow in your gravel to aerate it. BUT- If you start to get overrun by snails you should just squish any of them you can see and reach on the walls of the tank. Your fish will love you for it (free protein!) and that's how I've been controlling my snail population. DON'T use any chemicals.
What size is your tank?

I have the fluvial chi 6.6 gallons. I an also trying to decide what type if fish to put in it

Unfortunately that's not big enough for any of the snail eating species, so I'd just go with squishing the ones you see if they become overwhelming. All in all though they are a beneficial snail and not considered a pest.
With 6.6 gallons you really don't have many options. A male or female betta would be perfectly happy in a 6.6.. but if you wanted more fish to go in it you could try some tetras or guppies in small schools. :) hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom