Male or female GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424552658.550452.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424552677.751259.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424552699.269048.jpg

Is this a male or female?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking male too.

Definitely not a male. It's a female. The pectoral fins have blue, which only occurs for females, also the front tip of her dorsal fin doesn't extend. A males dorsal fin will have a thin extension off the top, it is hard to explain though.

Definitely not a male. It's a female. The pectoral fins have blue, which only occurs for females, also the front tip of her dorsal fin doesn't extend. A males dorsal fin will have a thin extension off the top, it is hard to explain though.

You know this??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My female has a pink belly. This one doesnt, which is one reason i was curious if it was a male. It was also the one going after a third ram (which i took back to the lfs because he was getting so bullied).

The pink belly could be from a number of things from, water condition to genes to age etc.

I'll bet you $2 it's a male in a month too!

The pink belly could be from a number of things from, water condition to genes to age etc.

You just made that up in the spot didn't you:p
I'm not saying you havnt.. but if you've had rams in the past you'd know a male just by his stance in most cases.. females too.. not saying they can't be tricky but.

I 2would disagree, also this fish has blue florescent spots in its fake eye spot. Males NEVER have blue spots here. Also I made a logical hypothesis about the pink spot, based on my blue rams development of color.
~Zac

Spangling is what you're referring too ?? Not so much these days..

I 2would disagree, also this fish has blue florescent spots in its fake eye spot. Males NEVER have blue spots here. Also I made a logical hypothesis about the pink spot, based on my blue rams development of color.
~Zac

Well anyways, this fish shown has all of the reasons to be a female as far sexing goes. Would you tell me why you believe it is a male?

Well anyways, this fish shown has all of the reasons to be a female as far sexing goes. Would you tell me why you believe it is a male?

Because it's bit a female and that only leaves the one remaining sex.. gotta go though... good chat;)

Lol you guys totally lost me,

Haha. Will the females nip at each others fins? The one keeps nipping at the others fin.
If they both end up being female, will that be an issue?

Male...pink belly is a female trait, nothing to do with water quality or any of that other nonsense. It shows the female is generally ready to breed and gets brighter when she's ready to spawn.

Back
Top Bottom