Male or female GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I 2would disagree, also this fish has blue florescent spots in its fake eye spot. Males NEVER have blue spots here. Also I made a logical hypothesis about the pink spot, based on my blue rams development of color.
~Zac

Let me refer you to my ram thread post #17 will show you why you are 100% incorrect, both fish pictured are proven females http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329889

It does not matter what diet or conditioning you use a male will NEVER show a pink belly and the op's fish is without a doubt male.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so the "male" then occasionally nips the females back fin. Should I be concerned or normal behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No this is normal behavoir when he wants to breed. When (if) she is ready, they will spawn

They are a great fish, I really enjoyed a Times mine have breed so far

He had been doing that to the other ram i purchased, but it was a balloon ram (i didnt know better) and he followed and did it non-stop so i was afraid he was gonna kill the balloon ram. I took it back to the lfs.
I am pretty sure the balloon ram was a male.
So i thought the nipping the back fin could potentially be a cause for concern between him and the female.

I am so excited to have them in my tank. I have tried once before and they both died, but i bought them from petsmart. I did not with these two.
I am lightly stocked and am trying to stock my tank around my rams. Any suggestions?

What is the size of the tank? Also did you buy them as a breeding pair

55 gallon

No I did not buy them as a breeding pair. Although they get along for the most part.

In the tank i have the

2GBR
15 neon tetras
1 dwarf guarami
5 otos
2 frogs

I would definitely look into geophagus redhead cichlids, they are absolutely awesome. Unfortunetly, if they aren't paired off when they are young they usually won't breed for a lifetime, only a few times or so. I guess you could get lucky though. Good luck!
~Zac

Thanks for the advice!

I would definitely look into geophagus redhead cichlids, they are absolutely awesome. Unfortunetly, if they aren't paired off when they are young they usually won't breed for a lifetime, only a few times or so. I guess you could get lucky though. Good luck!
~Zac

What makes you think that putting 2 geos in a 55 is a good idea?? Seriously sp. Tapajos may be on the smaller side compared to most geos but they are still too big for a 55 and like other geos are social and do best in groups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What would you suggest I add to this tank that is compatible with what I have in there?

To be honest, if you have great balance, I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe a pair of cleithracara maronii (keyhole).

As for the person posting about geos. Same as what gillie said. Please research your suggestions before making them....

The keyholes wont bother the dwarf guarami or the neon tetras?

Back
Top Bottom