Maybe a coral? Help with ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryert22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I finally have my sump set up and bought some live rock and cheato for my refugium. Today I spotted something on the rock in my refugium. Is this a type of coral? There are a lot on this piece of rock. Should I keep it in my refugium or in my display tank with actinic lighting?

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 172
Looks like possibly a clove polyp. It will do better in the daylight bulbs. You don't have any daylight over your display, just actinic?

Looks like possibly a clove polyp. It will do better in the daylight bulbs. You don't have any daylight over your display, just actinic?

I have a 10,000k and an actinic over my display. They're only T8 bulbs though. I haven't had the chance to purchase my LEDs yet. I have no corals in my tank due to that. My refugium has a 6500k pc light.

A few more opened up. The center may be a light green. It's a greenish-yellowish color. Is it okay to not have them under actinics?

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 148
I never had mine under straight white lights so Idk it shouldn't b a problem if the intensity is high enough though.....r there 8 tentacles or 6 I can't tell in the pics

I never had mine under straight white lights so Idk it shouldn't b a problem if the intensity is high enough though.....r there 8 tentacles or 6 I can't tell in the pics

The ones next the top of the rock have 6 but there is one at the bottom that you can barely see in the pictures. It's a darker purple color and it has 8.

Pretty sure there jasmine polyps even though normally they have 8 but I as well had some with only 6 tentacles. leave them down there just keep an eye on them if they start closin up there not happy. I read that u only have t8s in ur display ur pcs r more intense than those t8s will be so that's prolly ur best bet......if u have an urchin move him somewhere else because he will mow those suckers down that's why I no longer have any.

I don't have any urchins so they shouldn't become food. I'll keep them under the PCs and keep an eye on them. Thank you all for the help!

That looks like à xenia pom-pom coral, o have a large colony in my tank, they spread well and give brilliant motion in the tank. Heres a pic of mine.

ForumRunner_20130513_212432.jpg

If you look at the top this is it, ill put a better pic for you when i get home from work.

That looks like à xenia pom-pom coral, o have a large colony in my tank, they spread well and give brilliant motion in the tank. Heres a pic of mine.

If you look at the top this is it, ill put a better pic for you when i get home from work.

That looks exactly like what I have. The coloration is the same also.

They are lovely, not as popular as the pulsing xenia but just as nicec ive had mine in my tank for 2 months now and its spreading like hell.that is under 20 x 3watt leds tho

They are lovely, not as popular as the pulsing xenia but just as nicec ive had mine in my tank for 2 months now and its spreading like hell.that is under 20 x 3watt leds tho

I haven't purchased my LEDs yet so I have no corals. I'm going to try my best to keep them healthy until then though. How do you feed yours?

I feed mine with 3 types of phytoplankton twice a week but to honest light is the best source of food for these. Here is the picture i told you off

ForumRunner_20130514_074150.jpg

ForumRunner_20130514_074124.jpg

I have both clove polyps and xenia in my reef tank and it seems very apparent to me that all of the corals posted in this thread are clove polyps (clavularia sp.) and not xenia at all.

The calyces of the clove polyps (the structures that the polyps can completely retract into) are easily seen, especially in the photos of the first post of this thread.

Xenia's lack calyces (their polyps close or contract when disturbed, they do not retract into a housing) and have thicker stalks.

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

I think that people think that xenia pulses but there is a couple of varities. I might be wrong thats just what a few books that I have say.

Back
Top Bottom