Minimum tank size for two plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a green phantom pleco in a 30gal right now

I plan on getting a new larger tank soon

If i move the green phantom into the large tank could i add another pleco in there too?

Would 60gal be enough for two?

I know these fish can be aggressive so i am aware that the setup might not work so im asking out of curiosity

the L200 green phantom will be 7-8" fully grown and the L239 blue panaque will be somewhere around 3". If you provide 2-3 caves and other decorations to hide behind I think a 55-60 gal would be fine. I would not add too many more fish after that though because they do have a large bio load.

Another thing you need to be prepared for is if one pleco is always out competing the other for food.

edit: just to clarify when you say blue panaque are you referring to

L239 - "blue panaque" Baryancistrus beggini
or
"blue eyed panaque" Panaque cochliodon

they have a similar common name but are very different species

What is the difference?

Are they both the same max size?

Do they look any different?

Is there a significant price difference?

Which do you personally prefer?

Plecos are my focus of my aquariums. I love plecos and have always had one for the 15 years I have been doing this. Right now in my 60g I have 5 plecos, 2 discus, 5 Cory cats, horseface loach, African dwarf frog, 4 tetras, 2 guppies. If you are setting up a new tank invest in a bigger filter from the beginning. I have a 100g tetra whisper air pump on one side of the tank with a large air bar and the suction of my 400gph filter at the other. This causes a good current straight to my auction. I have zero water issues and only do a 10-15% water change a week. Stick wit the dwarf versions and you can add more obviously. Aggression wise I have only had issues with having 2 of the same species in the tank. I eliminated that and all my fish get along. I am currently setting up a 200g for my albino common pleco I bought but I knew this day would come when I bought him. I would definelty make it a live plant aquarium and the roots will help with the bio load as well. Hope that helped.

Thats some great info!

How would you recommend i lower my ph?

My tap water is around 8-8.5

Is it worth investing in an RO system)

I personally use DI RO water. With my 60 gallon im only swapping out 6-10 gallons a weeks so I just have 2 5 gallon jugs and ill them up for 39 cents a gallon. Now that I'm starting my 200g I'm looking into under counter and countertop RO models. I have to do particulate tests on these RO machines before I could give you a solid yes on getting one. But if its that or tap water, yes the RO machine will do wonders for your ph level. I treated tap for some time but I am strictly RO water now. Its made my life a million times easier wit water quality issues

You can also buy chemicals to lower your ph. You want to go about .1 per week but if your doing weekly pwc and its coming out of the tap that high then essentially you would be doing circles trying to lower it. If you get RO. Do a 10-15% every 3 days for a couple weeks and your ph would be good. Then go back to your weekly water changes

Back
Top Bottom