mission save sharky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you really want a centerpiece which I think what you have now will be more then entertaining the you could probably do a trio of sparkling gouramis or 1 blue gold opaline gourami or 2 honey gouramis

allaboutfish said:
If you really want a centerpiece which I think what you have now will be more then entertaining the you could probably do a trio of sparkling gouramis or 1 blue gold opaline gourami or 2 honey gouramis

Umm... No expert, but I do know you can't mix gouramis. They're like male bettas... You can't mix them or they'll kill each other.

if i do get a centerpiece,it will be a single fish(or a really awesome group). wouldnt a centerpeice just add to the entertainment?

alLexX said:
if i do get a centerpiece,it will be a single fish(or a really awesome group). wouldnt a centerpeice just add to the entertainment?

Lol yes, but is the shark and the cichlid pair not enough?

Homedog98 said:
Umm... No expert, but I do know you can't mix gouramis. They're like male bettas... You can't mix them or they'll kill each other.

Sparkling are different bc they're small and o said trio boy 2 girls and honey gouramis are smaller then dwarfs and will accept other honeys when in a large tank

allaboutfish said:
Sparkling are different bc they're small and o said trio boy 2 girls and honey gouramis are smaller then dwarfs and will accept other honeys when in a large tank

Oh you said SPARKLING! That's waaaaay different lol. My bad :D

You'll never see sparkling gouramis in a tank that size with the other fish you listed. They'll be shy with all the activity and larger fish and probably outcompeted for food.

You'll never see sparkling gouramis in a tank that size with the other fish you listed. They'll be shy with all the activity and larger fish and probably outcompeted for food.
its okay,decided against buying a centerpeice, my shark will be the centerpeice(the tank is for him after all):)

hows my stocking plan sond?
1 rainbow shark
3-4 swordtails(depends if my cray got the one i havent seen for a couple days)
pair of dwarf cichlids(most likely kribs,but they might be keyholes)
9 zebra danios
6 black skirt tetras
if this doesnt sound good,please suggest other species of fish that will work

So much to respond too- where to begin?

Ver looked at the little fish tags on the tanks at Wal-Mart? Car too often, the "specs" listed are totally wrong. Like those Iridescent sharks they sell: WalMart's tags show a 20g is just fine. I've never been to a WM that even sells a tank big enough for this this fish that can grow to 4ft! Last time I looked, they had two tanks full of them (all about 3inches long).

If a store employee doesn't have a clue (including at your lfs), then what are they going to rely on? If the tag says a certain size tank is ok- who are they to argue? Far too many lfs are conten just ordering and selling whatever is available, and are far too lazy to get the necessary info.

That's why a good lfs is like a good mechanic- hold on too them! The lfs I frequent, most employees are hobbyists themselves, so generally have a clue. There are a couple who know some about certain specifics- but THINK they know it all. I find myself correcting them completely involuntarily. Funny when one of the owners or long-time employees come over and are asked about what we are debating... And they correct the follow employee (backing me up). I have always had teaching in my blood...

So much to respond too- where to begin?

Ver looked at the little fish tags on the tanks at Wal-Mart? Car too often, the "specs" listed are totally wrong. Like those Iridescent sharks they sell: WalMart's tags show a 20g is just fine. I've never been to a WM that even sells a tank big enough for this this fish that can grow to 4ft! Last time I looked, they had two tanks full of them (all about 3inches long).

If a store employee doesn't have a clue (including at your lfs), then what are they going to rely on? If the tag says a certain size tank is ok- who are they to argue? Far too many lfs are conten just ordering and selling whatever is available, and are far too lazy to get the necessary info.

That's why a good lfs is like a good mechanic- hold on too them! The lfs I frequent, most employees are hobbyists themselves, so generally have a clue. There are a couple who know some about certain specifics- but THINK they know it all. I find myself correcting them completely involuntarily. Funny when one of the owners or long-time employees come over and are asked about what we are debating... And they correct the follow employee (backing me up). I have always had teaching in my blood...
i dont have an irridescent sharek,i have a rainbow shark. theer black with red fins.

would a silent cycle be ok? my LFS has dwarf cichlids for 99 cents,and apparently there selling fast. i moved the whole never before changed cartridge from my 10 over to the 55. if i can ill get 4,wait for a pair to form,and return the other 2.

What kind of dwarf cichlids? Wholesale on any dwarfs I've ever seen is higher than that so they are either mis-labeling or losing money on these fish IMO.

What kind of dwarf cichlids? Wholesale on any dwarfs I've ever seen is higher than that so they are either mis-labeling or losing money on these fish IMO.
not sure,but after looking at google images they might be keyholes. im guessing that someone had obtained a breeding pair,but couldnt findanything to do with them so they gave/sold very cheap the fry to the store. if the silent cycling is ok ill post pics.

Back
Top Bottom