Mixing red and blue shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey first time shrimp keeper!

I bought 6 super red cherry shrimp today their settling in nice! I was thinking about blue shrimp aswell. Would the offspring become very ugly or would it look good?

Not sure about red and blue. Red and yellow don't make orange. You might end up with a few of each color but more likely a hodgepodge mix. I recently received some neon yellows and decided to keep them separate from my red cherries.
I would do the same considering you've got some decent reds already.

Welcome to the shrimp keeping hobby!

Neocaridinas breed readily with other neocaridinas. You certainly could buy some blue neos and put them in with your red neos, but then you'd potentially revert to wild type coloration in their offspring. You definitely will not get an additive color effect (like blue + red = purple... nope nope nope). Neos don't breed that way. If you're lucky and the blue neos you get were bred from a red line cherry shrimp line, you may get mixtures of blue and red. Maybe. Probably not. Chances are you will get wild type coloration. But the adults you buy will keep their colors as long as they're alive. If you like the splash of color, and don't mind the offspring, hey go for it.

There are other shrimp species that can coexist with your neos, like caridina cantonensis "Tiger Shrimp", or caridina serrata "tangerine tiger shrimp", to name some that come to mind. They're readily available online. These shrimp I've mentioned are more difficult to keep alive, so maybe make sure your red cherry shrimp do well for a while before making the investment into caridinas.

Hey first time shrimp keeper!

I bought 6 super red cherry shrimp today their settling in nice! I was thinking about blue shrimp aswell. Would the offspring become very ugly or would it look good?

Welcome to the shrimp keeping hobby!

Neocaridinas breed readily with other neocaridinas. You certainly could buy some blue neos and put them in with your red neos, but then you'd potentially revert to wild type coloration in their offspring. You definitely will not get an additive color effect (like blue + red = purple... nope nope nope). Neos don't breed that way. If you're lucky and the blue neos you get were bred from a red line cherry shrimp line, you may get mixtures of blue and red. Maybe. Probably not. Chances are you will get wild type coloration. But the adults you buy will keep their colors as long as they're alive. If you like the splash of color, and don't mind the offspring, hey go for it.

There are other shrimp species that can coexist with your neos, like caridina cantonensis "Tiger Shrimp", or caridina serrata "tangerine tiger shrimp", to name some that come to mind. They're readily available online. These shrimp I've mentioned are more difficult to keep alive, so maybe make sure your red cherry shrimp do well for a while before making the investment into caridinas.
Thanks for the explanation! All my shrimp died for some reason! I'll have to try again at a later date.

Oh no! I did that the first time I bought my red neos. If you want some tips to make sure you have a bulletproof setup the next time you try, reply here and I'll try to help you not repeat the same mistakes I made.

Oh no! I did that the first time I bought my red neos. If you want some tips to make sure you have a bulletproof setup the next time you try, reply here and I'll try to help you not repeat the same mistakes I made.
Will do!

Okay so half way good news.

All my Ammanos died but 4/5 of my reds are doing a bit better after water change.

It seems the 1 red died after molting and the amano all died at the same time...

Okay so half way good news.

All my Ammanos died but 4/5 of my reds are doing a bit better after water change.

It seems the 1 red died after molting and the amano all died at the same time...

I had quite a few failed molts with my first generation RCS. The ones hatched at home seem much less vulnerable to this, or they are just getting 'cleaned up' before I notice!

Back
Top Bottom