Molly veggie & feeding options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Doing a bit of reading on mollies since I am new to keeping them ( just over a. Month now) and have actually read they will eat vegetables if they are put in the tank. True?

What kind of veggies and how often?

What is the easiest way to feed veggies to a Molly?

Imagine a slice of cucumber or lettuce leaf clipped somehow to the tank wall? Trying to avoid having to stick whole arm in tank to get it out after a day or two.

I know they love algae too - mine are always scavenging the tank decor to pecking at any algae growth they see. If I leave one of the blinds open in my office a portion of the tank will get sunlight for a couple hours per day ... I've already noticed some growth on my faux log decoration/ fish cave.

What about algae wafers? Are those any good?

I have been feeding them tropical fish flakes. Any other suggestions / tips for optimum Molly nutrition? Thanks.

At one time I had a 55gal. tank set up as a Molly colony tank. I used a veggie clip with a suction cup on it. I got seaweed strips and cut it into 2 inch long strips and put the veggie clip with these strips right at the water line and the Mollies went crazy for it. It was a real feeding frenzy with the entire colony trying to tear apart the seaweed. The colony consisted of about 25 Mollies and when done the veggie clip was real easy to remove with it being right at the top water line.

NLS alage waffes... mine go crazy over. more so that cheap brands

I would say feed vegetables 2-3x a week.

zucchini, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach leaves, peas.. are great.

do a search on this site for "vegetables " and/or "feeding" you should find tons of information

MDChurch said:
At one time I had a 55gal. tank set up as a Molly colony tank. I used a veggie clip with a suction cup on it. I got seaweed strips and cut it into 2 inch long strips and put the veggie clip with these strips right at the water line and the Mollies went crazy for it. It was a real feeding frenzy with the entire colony trying to tear apart the seaweed. The colony consisted of about 25 Mollies and when done the veggie clip was real easy to remove with it being right at the top water line.

MDChurch- Must have been quite a sight to see I suspected there was something like a veggie clip out there. I'll def look into it. Thx!

rreekers said:
NLS alage waffes... mine go crazy over. more so that cheap brands

I would say feed vegetables 2-3x a week.

zucchini, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach leaves, peas.. are great.

do a search on this site for "vegetables " and/or "feeding" you should find tons of information

Excellent - will do. For peas, I've heard they should be shelled. That sound right? Appreciate the tips.

Excellent - will do. For peas, I've heard they should be shelled. That sound right? Appreciate the tips.

I have been told that they need to be shelled and also been told they have been unshelled... I honestly dont think it matters..

try both ways and see what your mollies like best!

i know my mollies would eat a cow if they would.. so they eat things to fast for it to matter weather it is shelled or not

-- just be patient because it took my fish A LONG TIME 5-7 tries before they would even touch the vegetables! i was so discouraged. so i went to my LFS and got some frozen food (in the cubes) they sell a vegetable one... generally just in a variety pack.. they liked that right away and ever since they have taken interest in the real vegetables

I dont keep mollies, but i am a big fan of feeding veggies (and fruits)! Deshelling peas is a better idea here- the shell is not digestible & poses a choking hazard. Lettuce has little nutritional value (its basically water). Opt instead for spinach or other dark leafy greens. Any veggie is game (exception being heavy starches such as potaotes) as long as its cooked first. :)

I dont keep mollies, but i am a big fan of feeding veggies (and fruits)! Deshelling peas is a better idea here- the shell is not digestible & poses a choking hazard. Lettuce has little nutritional value (its basically water). Opt instead for spinach or other dark leafy greens. Any veggie is game (exception being heavy starches such as potaotes) as long as its cooked first. :)

what fruits do you feed your fish??

what fruits do you feed your fish??

Chunks of watermelon is one of their favorites along with tangerine segments (Dole jars in 100% juice). I also will feed bits of other fruits mashed up into bite-sized bits (soft pear, strawberry, grapes, other melons, etc). Depends on whats in the fridge! :)

jlk said:
Chunks of watermelon is one of their favorites along with tangerine segments (Dole jars in 100% juice). I also will feed bits of other fruits mashed up into bite-sized bits (soft pear, strawberry, grapes, other melons, etc). Depends on whats in the fridge! :)

Cold water fish though, right? Do tropical fish eat fruit?

Cold water fish though, right? Do tropical fish eat fruit?

Yes, coldwater. But, my guess is if mollies are little piggies like goldies, they probably would not mind some occasional fruits, too. Just not daily because alot of fruits are high in sugars. Vitamin C is excellent for fishes immune systems, too. You could give it a try & see what they think. Veggies are fine to feed daily (just as long as your not dumping an entire salad in the tank). :)

Back
Top Bottom