More interesting fish behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For your reading pleasure...

I am learning that it is interesting how tank dynamics can change with the introduction/loss of fish.

Until recently, I had one roseline shark, and four clown loaches. Of the clown loaches, one is about 1/3 bigger than the other three, and has been in my tank longer.

The shark would routinely patrol back and forth across the middle of hte tank. He is a very active fish, and not shy at all. The loaches mostly school together, the smaller ones following the larger one around, unless they are off individually foraging.

This past Friday, I added another roseline shark. The two sharks instantly became inseparable. Now, they both patrol the middle of the tank together, and are rarely apart. The existing one seems even more active than before. ...but the interesting thing is how the loaches now act. Now that I have two sharks that school together, my three smaller clown loaches will sometimes swim back and forth with the sharks. I guess it comes down to who they perceive as the "dominant fish." When the larger clown loach is out, the three smaller ones will usually follow him around. But when he's not, they will often follow the sharks. Funny, funny fish...

Back
Top Bottom