Mts info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbone112219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep seeing people talk about these in sand. Can I add them to my tank that has gravel in it? How many should I have in a 29 gallon tank

I would bet you can keep them in gravel. Just keep an eye out on them though, they can reproduce at a fairly good rate.

Depends on the size of gravel. They can do fine in any tank... I keep mine on bare bottom at the moment (till I switch substrate in a different tank) but they prefer to burrow, so sand is suggested. They are mostly used for arrating the sand so people don't get gas build ups, and aren't too useful for much else in my opinion since they are so small in size. If you do decide to go with them I think 25-50 would be a good start, they multiply like crazy.
But if I were you, I'd just go for some ramshorns, nerites, or mystery snails since they grow to a decent size and will do a much better job with cleaning (if that's what you wat them for)

I am considering going to sand as well. I am wanting to do a planted tank wondering if sand is better for the plants as well

Not really better per say, just has prettier looks and is easier to plant in but you have to use root tabs because the sand is so compacted that its hard for plants to get nutrients...
If you had another thread started about thinking about sand I think I may have replied to it.
But yes, if you do go with sand then MTS will be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom