My 33 Gal. Community Tank Log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you! I saw this stunning tank
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2013/show57.html
With the same dimensions as mine that I would love to replicate at least partially in low-medium light. At least, I think the dimensions are the same, unless they aren't listed as length- height- width

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know right!

Alright guys, I'm actually considering getting rid of all the guppies. Opinions? My brother wants guppies so he can take probably six but I'm kind of over these easy species- I'm going for a SA theme. Not for plantings but just fish. So taking this in mind, new stock!

Ram pair
10 rummynose tetras
12 cories
10 cardinal or neon tetras
Pair of BN plecos or 8 otos (with them I plan on waiting until the aquascape is done for so many otos I don't want any starving)
Anything else?

Alright guys, I'm actually considering getting rid of all the guppies. Opinions? My brother wants guppies so he can take probably six but I'm kind of over these easy species- I'm going for a SA theme. Not for plantings but just fish. So taking this in mind, new stock!

Ram pair
10 rummynose tetras
12 cories
10 cardinal or neon tetras
Pair of BN plecos or 8 otos (with them I plan on waiting until the aquascape is done for so many otos I don't want any starving)
Anything else?

Never cared for guppies myself.

You might want to consider doing half as many corys and having a pair of Bolivian Rams or Cockatoo Apistos instead. (Provide lots of caves and hiding places.)

If you go with otos or plecos, add them last, after your tank has some algae. Make sure you supplement with algae wafers.

I'd go with Cardinals over Neons. Nothing inherently wrong with Neons, but they tend to be less hardy due to inbreeding. If you go with Neons, get them from a good LFS.

A half dozen silver hatchets might round out your tank nicely. Their bioload is tiny and they stay up at the very top, out of the way of everything else.

I don't like Bolivians and will apistos be ok with rams?

Edit- GBR

Are hatchets SA? I'm worried about any jumpers like them as I don't have a lid

I don't like Bolivians

Racist! :lol:

and will apistos be ok with rams?

Edit- GBR

They might in larger tanks, but I wouldn't try to mix multiple bottom-dwelling cichlids in a 33 gallon. I'd go with either a single or pair of one species or the other. I also wouldn't do a bunch of corys and plecos with rams or apistos unless it's a larger tank. If you're interested in bottom-dwelling cichlids and corys, go with otos instead.

I got-
A gel pack of Crypt Wenditii
An amazon sword
A java fern
API liquid CO2
API Leaf Zone

I'll get shots as soon as I get home, dad insisted on a huge bottle of tetra dechlorinator (They had prime ON SALE!), a magnetic glass cleaner, tetra algae fix, and some sort of de-cloudifier. I'm not happy with that, I really don't want that many chemicals or an ugly magnet in my tank.

Just a note, the magnet cleaners can rust so you don't want to leave it in the tank. Tell your dad that if he questions you. Because it is true.
The tetra stuff works fine, it is just more expensive than Prime. So, no worries. Avoid the de-cloudifier if you can! I am not a fan of any of those type of things. They can hurt stuff.

Sorry, you may have said this before, but what are the dimensions of your tank?

36" long by 17" high by 12" deep
I always take the magnet out :)
I already have the cories and rams, so it's either the Plecos or otos. My scape plan in the photo above should have plenty of hidey holes for all so I'm not adding any more species on the bottom until it's more heavily plantes

Also I'm going to try to get my LFS to take my trio of black moscows as I don't trust my brother with them, the male has fabulous finnage that I don't want to rot away and my LFS always takes great care.

Here's my actual final stock I promise!
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....01003241259:,16:200909300196:,3:200909300093:
Bwuahaha aqadvisor is flipping out on me. :)

Given that Rummys almost always occupy the bottom third of the tank, you're going to be rather crowded down there. I'm not sure how your rams will deal with that if they decided to breed. Blue Rams are less aggressive than some other drawf cichlids, but they're also fragile and stress out easily.

You might want to consider a tetra species that occupy higher strata. Black Neons are great for this. They're also hardier and less skittish than Rummys.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure it'll look good. Be sure to make lots of little caves and do weekly 50% WCs for those rams.

I already have the rummies and mine are definitely mid-top swimmers strangely

I already have the rummies and mine are definitely mid-top swimmers strangely

That's interesting. Mine spend most of the day hunkering down in the plants. It wasn't until I tethered a bunch of hornwort to the top of my tank that they began to swim around in the middle of the tank in the afternoons.

My experience with Rummies is that they only swam higher in the tank when stressed or chased. Other than that they definitely stayed in lower 3rd. Awesome fish though! I currently have black neons and they are all over the place and keep randomly dropping dead.
I cannot look at your link right now because my tablet won't let me, but I'll check it out later once I'm on my computer again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So any opinions on the stock? Looking to maybe pick up some otos today- 1 or 2- as my algae is insane.

Is that the stock to which you are referring? Looks fine to me. In my opinion "100%" according to aqadvisor is a good start for the lowest common denominator. Anyone with even a little bit of experience and knowledge can easily pass that. Your 130% is not heavily stocked at all - not even close, so tell aqadvisor to chill out ;-)

Here's my actual final stock I promise!
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....01003241259:,16:200909300196:,3:200909300093:
Bwuahaha aqadvisor is flipping out on me. :)

Back
Top Bottom