My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So week or so into cycle! Nitrites steady at 5..pH is steady at 8-8.2..that kinda makes me nervous
Question about ferts... Do i need excel and pps-Pro with low lights? I I have root tabs now for plants. And dosed flourish this week
Going stop at mom and pop lfs tomorrow w and see what plants he has. Hope to get a couple crypts.

So week or so into cycle! Nitrites steady at 5..pH is steady at 8-8.2..that kinda makes me nervous
Question about ferts... Do i need excel and pps-Pro with low lights? I I have root tabs now for plants. And dosed flourish this week
Going stop at mom and pop lfs tomorrow w and see what plants he has. Hope to get a couple crypts.

You do need to have the dry ferts (PPS-Pro in your case) and good mix of root tabs and that's all I do in my tank for ferts. I have pressurized CO2 so I wouldn't really need excel, but yes you do need to dose all the necessary things even in low light. If you start dosing PPS-Pro there would really be no need for the flourish comp. if you are using it. Good luck with your plants, it looks cool!

So I have been on that gla sight.. But I'm confused how to dose it into tank.. I see you buy the plastic jugs, but what do you use to dose from that.

So I have been on that gla sight.. But I'm confused how to dose it into tank.. I see you buy the plastic jugs, but what do you use to dose from that.

Ok. I was confused when I started PPS-Pro too lol. From GLA, you buy the Green Fert Pack (Click "Fertilizers" in the left column, and then it is the first listing for $19.99) This will have all of te macros and micros you will need. Then you need to get 2 1000ml dosing bottles. You also will need a gram scale - I got mine from amazon. Then once you have everything, here is the formula to making each solution-this is what Rivercats had told me when I was confused-
The fertilizer package has your nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and the CSM+B is your micro nutrients. These 4 packages you get are all you need. Plus 2- 1000ml dosing bottles from them too.

Then mix your macro solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (which is the 1000ml dosing bottle)

59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)

Fill with distilled or RO water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Next mix your Micro Solution:

In 1 liter bottle: (1000ml dosing bottle)

80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix

Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Also add 5ml of Excel to each 250ml of Micro and Macro mix
(20ml Excel to a 1000ml dosing bottle)

Thats it!

Dose 1ml to every 10 gallons of water

Well glad I'm not only alil confused!! Ok thanks soo much!! Now I should do this AFTER I'm cycled huh?

Why is your PH so high? Are you planning on keeping African Cichlids? If you are planning on keeping some other type of fish, you may want to use peat to both soften your water as well as drop your PH, but it will take time. Driftwood may also help. Others may have other suggestions, but this is one of the most natural methods........Dwayne

Why is your PH so high? Are you planning on keeping African Cichlids? If you are planning on keeping some other type of fish, you may want to use peat to both soften your water as well as drop your PH, but it will take time. Driftwood may also help. Others may have other suggestions, but this is one of the most natural methods........Dwayne

:agree: In my 60g, when I started it the pH was around 8.0 - 8.2, and then I added the DW, plants, pressurized CO2, and a bit of peat in the filter and now it is stable at 6.8, perfect for my angelfish. Peat does turn your water a yellowish to brown hue though. The CO2 and driftwood really helped though. Also, when I do my WC's, I swish around some peat in the water I am about to put into the tank so it doesn't change the whole tanks' water color, and it will lower the pH. But, having a stable pH is always better then trying to pinpoint one number.

Another option is to add Indian Almond leaves. You can put them in a fine mesh bag and plane in your canister or HOB filter. They soften water, lower your PH as well as adding certain antimicrobial/antibiotic benefits. I use them in my 135 gallon Discus tank. The fish really like them. They do turn the water a light tea color (which I happen to like) and the fish don't seem to notice. They are also beneficial at controlling diatoms and some forms of "ugly" algae. Hope this helps....Dwayne

If you are into tank cycling, please note that cycling can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. There is the full cycle as well as several mini cycles. With plants...they have a period of cycling as well that at times has something to do with your regular tank cycling as well as a cycle they go through all their own. You will go through periods of high amonia, nitrites and nitrates as well as periods of low iron, phosphates, potassium, manganese and other micro / macro ferts. Not to mention periods of algae of all sorts and the dreaded DIATOMS. Take your time....patience and a good diary is the key. Write down what you do and when you do is as well as results. Over time, you will develope a rhythm of W/C, ferts, feeding, substrate and filter maintenance etc. The biggest assistance I can be to you is this "If ever you start to see signs of disease in your fish, it is rarely the fish....most of the time it is the water or filters that either caused the problem, or made a small issue a big problem. Keep your water and filters clean. Understand how aerobic bacteria work and nurture them just as much as you do your fish and you will NEVER go wrong. Avoid the use of chemicals as a first resort....always make them a last resort. Instead of doing what is easy....do what is right. Mother Nature does not take shortcuts........Good Luck!...........Dwayne

Nitrites and nitrates starting to drop!!!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130203_165320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130203_165320.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 82
so i am having the hardest time deciding on my stock!!! at first I wanted to do mostly different schools of tetras and corys, and maybe 1 angel.. Now I am really liking the Rainbows!!! :banghead: tough decisions
so here's my current stock but I know it has some issues.. angel and cardinals may be a problems. so maybe scratch angel and keep rest?
any advice or critiques on my current stock list??
my java fern is turning brown :( , my amazon sword is getting some new leaves. overall tank looks empty!!!! pics when i get more plants and looks better!! :brows:

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 97
Yeah, that angel will become very...vicious...almost to those smaller fish lol...eventually most of them would become a snack. Other than that, I think those choices would look pretty nice together!

Well I'm almost 3wks into cycle and pH has started to drop from 8 to 7.4-7.8
Should I do a 50% WC?

Added more plants today! Any critique or tips would be great!
Not sure if the plants on the rock should be there or in substrate
And bubble stone and tube there for cycling.. Haven't decided if I want permanently

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130216_193114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130216_193114.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 140
What happened? Nitrates disappeared!!
pH is usually around 8. Sat I did PWC, added plants, and dosed flourish.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130218_142432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130218_142432.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 95
Your tank looks really cool! So your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate seem to be at 0. I guess your cycle is done? Since you added the plants, that is probably it since plants suck all the nitrate out of the water....in my 60 I had trouble getting the nitrates going since I have so many plants in there it was at 0 for a long time- I started dosing straight up NO3 in the water and now it's around 10ppm usually.

As of today.. Some of what I planted sat is starting to die off

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130220_160214.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130220_160214.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 127

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom