My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4wks into cycle and think it's near end! Several days in a row of ammonia converts within 24 and 0 nitrite and nitrates are ranging around 20!!
Planted bunch of low light plants last week, some crypts are melting.. Added root tabs yesterday..
Guess I need to make a final decision on fish! Having trouble deciding

It is good that you are seeing ALL that takes place in setting up a new tank. If your ammonia and nitrite are at 0, you can start adding fish. I suggest starting with catfish (maybe green coreys) as they are good for almost all tanks except African Cichlids or other aggressive fish. I don't know how big yout tank is, but 3 to 5 is a good number, and will get you started moving on down the road to the hobby of fish keeping. Good Luck....your patience is paying off! Dwayne

yes both have been 0 for over a week(converted ammonia within 24hr)
i have 55..one of black neons is swimming odd already :-( I did the drip acclimation
I got 3 corydora today, they didn't have huge selection so i got 2 albino & forget other one
so that's all I got for now..
I really think I'm going to get turquoise rainbows & the maybe another rainbow species! they are really growing on me!!

It is good that you are seeing ALL that takes place in setting up a new tank. If your ammonia and nitrite are at 0, you can start adding fish. I suggest starting with catfish (maybe green coreys) as they are good for almost all tanks except African Cichlids or other aggressive fish. I don't know how big yout tank is, but 3 to 5 is a good number, and will get you started moving on down the road to the hobby of fish keeping. Good Luck....your patience is paying off! Dwayne

thanks for all your help!

they are doing great so far! pretty active

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130302_184405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130302_184405.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20130302_184438.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130302_184438.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20130302_184418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130302_184418.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 130
Hold on fish for now. Keep what you have and give them and the tank time to adjust. Your plants are sucking all of the nitrates out of the water. Plants use nitrates as food. Remenber the path / Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. The addition of fish will cause your ammonia to rise. Keep up with your water changes and you will be fine. The melting you are seeing in your plants is not a nutrition problem, but more than likely a temperature adjustment. Melt at the addition of new plants is normal. Your plants may be going through shock and just need a little time to adjust. Don't disturb them as it just takes them longer. Just let them rest for now, and you will be fine. Remember PATIENCE has to be a virtue in the aquarium hobby. Good luck....Dwayne

Your Anubias are looking good. I suggest that you make more of the rhysome above the soil line as they are prone to rotting. In other words, keep the base of the plants above the gravel and have just the roots covered. New leaves will come off the base of the plant and if it is buried, the growth will be stunted or no growth at all. Just scrape a little gravel / soil away from the base as I can see in your photos. Your neons are a schooling fish, and are better in groups of 6 or more. Also the problems you are seeing with the fish are more than likely NOT your fault. They have been bread so much in captivity that a lot of genetic weakness exits. They have been bread over time for striking looks, but the payoff has been that they are not very hearty. Also lousing fish is a fact of life. I cant tell you how many fish I have killed because of ignorance, bad luck or disease. Add more plants...your fish and your tank chemistry will appreciate it. I just did a major rescaping to my 75 gallon Angel fish tank. I have PICs posted in my public album called "my 75 gallon rescaping project." I did this over the last 3 days. My Angels and plants are doing fine. Good luck.....Dwayne

how do you plant around heater? mine is submerged at angle and jungle val was against it and melted

I always put my heater near water current or in your case near your return line. The reason is water flowing over the heater helps to prevent cold spots and results in a more even distribution of heat. What kind of filter system are you using? I usually place my intake line on one side of the tank and the return line on the other side of the tank. Where the water comes back in is where I place my heater. Heat rises and goes to the top of the tank. Cold ltends to sink. Sorry your Vals melted, I had come to melt months ago and have not seen them grow back. I guess the answer to your question depends a lot on the filter system you have......Dwayne

I have 2 hob (marineland and aquatech) and i had heater in middle. I could move heater under flow of one HOB

black neons have ich.. lost 5 out of 9 so far :-( I treated today. not sure if I can save rest.. corys look ok so far

I suggest raising the tank temp to 82-85 degrees. Remember if you use any ich medications, you will need to replace all activated carbon in your pumps. You can also take it out if it is less than 2 weeks old. Some may suggest using salt, but I suggest if you use salt, do so in a separate container for about 30 minutes and return to the tank. Ich normally comes when your water change temps vary too widely. Keep up the water changes, but keep an eye on the temp. By this i mean make sure the water you are adding is the same temp as the water you are taking out. Leave the temp 82-85 degrees for the next 5-7 days. Good luck.....Dwayne

thanks! I was so upset when I lost all my neons in 48hrs..
after almost 2wks,i added 5 cherry barbs

Black skirt tetras (sometimes called longfin tetras) are virtually bullet proof. They make good tank mated for almost any fish and will NOT die on you. They are also good as a starter fish and fun. I have had them in my Angel tank. They accept almost any food you can throw at them from algae wafers to beef heart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom