My Cycle Log (fishless)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eco said that I could add my full bio-load right away when it can handle 3-4 ppm in 24 hours. Right now it looks like it could handle 3 but there was a nitrite spike when I just tested it.

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Eco said that I could add my full bio-load right away when it can handle 3-4 ppm in 24 hours. Right now it looks like it could handle 3 but there was a nitrite spike when I just tested it.

You could probably get away with adding fish soon. You will just have to do a lot of water changes if the nitrites get too high.

Do the nitrites normally get high when the cycle is like this? Isn't it cycled when nitrites never get above 0?

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Do the nitrites normally get high when the cycle is like this? Isn't it cycled when nitrites never get above 0?

Ammonia gets converted to nitrites and nitrites get converted to nitrates. It is cycled when the bb can process enough ammonia in 24 hours. But nitrites are also important, and need to be processed. But usually nitrites don't take long to get processed to nitrates if there is enough ammonia. Nitrites are still toxic and can be deadly, but if the bb processes the first two things fast enough, it should be fine. Just know that the ammonia won't just dissapear. It has to be converted to nitrite. So usually if you dosed ammonia to 3 ppm, the ammonia would eventually fall back to zero and the nitrite would become 3 ppm, then fall. Then the nitrate would do the same. But usually you can't watch the ammonia get converted easily because you have to test it. If you tested the water many times a day, you would have a more precise reading on how fast the ammonia gets converted. But by all means I am not saying you should. It is kind of pointless. It is also a lot of extra work.

Ok so should I be fine with adding fish when my bio-filter can handle 3-4ppm of ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours? When the levels of nitrite reach that high, my nitrate will "eat" them up faster?

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Ok so should I be fine with adding fish when my bio-filter can handle 3-4ppm of ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours? When the levels of nitrite reach that high, my nitrate will "eat" them up faster?

I don't know if the speed at which ammonia gets converted to nitrite is the same as the speed at which nitrite gets converted to nitrate. Just keep testing the water, and you can figure out how much nitrite is being processed in 24 hours as well. I. Think if it can convert 3 or 4 ppm on ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours or less, it should be good for adding fish.

You're watching the conversion of ammo > nitrItes > nitrAtes. Flash, keep doing what you're doing...looking good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks :D. If the fish were in the tank do you think it would affect them that much in that rapid increase of Nitrite?

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Thanks :D. If the fish were in the tank do you think it would affect them that much in that rapid increase of Nitrite?

I don't know how much nitrite would be in there, or how fast your bb processes it... I would wait, and keep dosing ammonia.

I think the amounts of ammonia and nitrite at once will be lowered because the fish produce it in one steady stream. Not at all like dumping in 4ppm at once. So I think that my Nitrates will be able to handle the little nitrite that will come up at once. Is this right?

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
I think the amounts of ammonia and nitrite at once will be lowered because the fish produce it in one steady stream. Not at all like dumping in 4ppm at once. So I think that my Nitrates will be able to handle the little nitrite that will come up at once. Is this right?
I don't know... it is hard to determine whether the amount will be/lowered or raised. There may still be ammonia left from when you dosed it.

Look, no offense, but it's Friday night and I'm not in the perfect "mindset" to give advice...but either listen to the guy who gives almost everyone respected advice on fishless cycling...or listen to Max. And Max, no offense...but I'm sorry you feel offended (via PM)...it's not about feelings...it's about good vs. bad advice. Only one of us is giving good advice.

Ok thanks guys I think I go the info I need. If I hit double zeros tomorrow (which I think I will with the tests I have been taking) I'll be able to have fish in my tank in Monday. I get double zeros tomorrow add 3ppm to see if it is a one time thing. Than on Sunday morning I still get double zeros so I add 1ppm of ammonia and in the afternoon do a 90% water change. Than on Monday I can get fish!

If at any time my pH drops should I do a pwc? Will it affect my cycle at all? Thank you for all of your help! :D

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Ok thanks guys I think I go the info I need. If I hit double zeros tomorrow (which I think I will with the tests I have been taking) I'll be able to have fish in my tank in Monday. I get double zeros tomorrow add 3ppm to see if it is a one time thing. Than on Sunday morning I still get double zeros so I add 1ppm of ammonia and in the afternoon do a 90% water change. Than on Monday I can get fish!

If at any time my pH drops should I do a pwc? Will it affect my cycle at all? Thank you for all of your help! :D

You have the right idea. Assuming you can zero out, test it one or two more times, do a pwc to get no3 below 20 and add fish :)

You just want to make certain the no2 > no3 bacteria (Nitrobacter) are able to keep up with the amount of no2 the ammo > no2 (Nitrosomonas) are pumping out.

This is the most vital time to watch pH...if you do experience a sudden drop, do as large of a pwc as it takes to restore the natural value of the tap water.

maxwellag said:
I don't see why you would do a 90 % water change...

To get no3 under 20 if needed.

I really don't mean to offend you Max (or get more PM's from you), but please understand the process before advising the steps of it. A 90% may not be the total necessary, but the goal is to get nitrAtes as low as possible before stocking.

eco23 said:
To get no3 under 20 if needed.

I really don't mean to offend you Max (or get more PM's from you), but please understand the process before advising the steps of it. A 90% may not be the total necessary, but the goal is to get nitrAtes as low as possible before stocking.

I thought I did understand it. I guess not well enough. Well I always like to learn more! I didn't know that it would be to get nitrates down. I thought it was for getting the ammonia down or something... nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom