My Cycle Log (fishless)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
You could probably get away with adding fish soon. You will just have to do a lot of water changes if the nitrites get too high.

Doesn't that basically defeat the purpose of a fishless cycle? Having to deal with toxin spikes by doing "lots of water changes"?

eco23 said:
Doesn't that basically defeat the purpose of a fishless cycle? Having to deal with toxin spikes by doing "lots of water changes"?

Lol... yes. But I was just saying that it was possible. Though its probably not a good choice

August 14

Ammonia .25-.50
Nitrite 0ppm

pH 6.7

I think this is double zero's!!!! The reason is yesterday I added ammonia at 11:00am because I woke up late. Today I tested it at 8:30am. I think by bio-filter can handle .25-50ppm of ammonia in 2 hours and 30 minutes. Should I dose now or wait till 11:00 and dose? Also should I do a water change? My pH seems to be a little low.

I think you caught it just in time with the pH :). Do a large pwc (~60-70%) to restore it, dose it back up one more time...and if we're zeroed out tomorrow..fishy time!

Ok I will do the water change at 11:00am when I test the water the second time this morning to make sure! Hopefully they are both 0ppm!

I have a question. Should I add 1ppm of Ammonia on Sunday if the results are both zero, or should I not do anything? I'm adding my fish on Monday if they have it in stock. I'll call in at closing time on Sunday. :D

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
I have a question. Should I add 1ppm of Ammonia on Sunday if the results are both zero, or should I not do anything? I'm adding my fish on Monday if they have it in stock. I'll call in at closing time on Sunday. :D

No need. The bacteria can go quite some time without food. I'd only feed it the 1ppm if you weren't planning on getting fish until further into next week. If you're zeroing out, it's really just about making sure the no3 is low and add fish. Make sure you turn your heater down as well if you've got it cranked up ;)

Ok thanks! All this information is confusing but I think I'm just about at the end of it! I'll post my results in around 20 minutes. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your help. :D

Awesome :). I'd test it once more because pH drops can do funny things (should be fine though), and get fish tomorrow if you'd like assuming we're at zeroes :)

Awesome :). I'd test it once more because pH drops can do funny things (should be fine though), and get fish tomorrow if you'd like assuming we're at zeroes :)
This was my first day so I added 3ppm of ammonia to see if it will work again. If it does than I'm off to the petstore on Monday! Thanks for your help! Also, how many water changes should I do after I add my fish? Will they be okay? I know you said it's okay but even in 24 hours if my bio-filter can handle 4ppm of ammonia do you think that there will be a nitrite rise like last night?

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
This was my first day so I added 3ppm of ammonia to see if it will work again. If it does than I'm off to the petstore on Monday! Thanks for your help! Also, how many water changes should I do after I add my fish? Will they be okay? I know you said it's okay but even in 24 hours if my bio-filter can handle 4ppm of ammonia do you think that there will be a nitrite rise like last night?

You shouldn't have any ammo or nitrIte spikes. Obviously be cautious and continue testing...but there shouldn't be any problems.

Once you have fish, just move to your weekly pwc schedule. I normally do 25% changes 1-2x per week.

Thanks so much! One more question. How much do I feed them? Also when do I feed them? After adding them do I feed them that day or do I feed them the next day? Thank you so much for your help!

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Thanks so much! One more question. How much do I feed them? Also when do I feed them? After adding them do I feed them that day or do I feed them the next day? Thank you so much for your help!

Try leaving the light off for a while so they can settle in. I also don't feed until the day after. Don't be surprised if they hide for a bit...but they'll be happy in their new home :)

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Thanks! Also how much do you feed them? Like as much they can eat in 1 minute? What do you do?

Personally I feed until I see everyone got a bite. Usually takes a minute or so. I add it slowly instead of dumping it all in at once. It's better to underfeed than overfeed. I feed probably 5 times a week with a random day or two off.

Ok thank you! I think I'll not feed them on Mondays or Fridays. On Mondays and Fridays though I will give them a little frozen blood worms after their water change. Yeah, I'm going to do 25% water changes on Monday and Friday. :)

Thanks for your help! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get double zero's once more!!

Back
Top Bottom