My first 20 gallon freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I already threw out 2, but saw this one about 2AM, so he got a reprieve. I don't have any other snails.

I guess I'll try the baiting-with-zucchini trick and see how many I have to get rid of.

Yeah, either use that trick, assassin snails, or a snail trap. ( I prefer assassin snails because they make sure snails gone and will hunt them down )

So....I got a dwarf red gourami (male). He's so pretty. The plants are doing well too; hornwort is growing madly, and everything seems good. I did a 20% pwc on Friday.

So....I got a dwarf red gourami (male). He's so pretty. The plants are doing well too; hornwort is growing madly, and everything seems good. I did a 20% pwc on Friday.

Nice! I love gouramis and want to try to breed them in the near future. Hornwort is know to do that lol. All the parameters good and guppy is good?

Nice! I love gouramis and want to try to breed them in the near future. Hornwort is know to do that lol. All the parameters good and guppy is good?
Parameters are good. I'm doing a half dose each of metafix and pimafix for seven days, just in case. My dad and I rearranged the office so I can put a stand in and my new-to-me 10 gallon. I think I'm going to put red cherry shrimp in it and try to breed them. Or maybe put ember tetras in it as well. If we have room (or find room) my husband wants a fancy goldfish, but that will entail us buying a 30 gallon.

Guppy is fine as far as I know. It probably got sold already. They take good care of their fish.

Got root tabs for my swords and crypts because I noticed tiny brown holes in the sword leaves. This was on Friday, so I'm eager to see if there's any improvement.

Can't wait to hear how the rcs breeding tank goes. :D
Oh right, you have the guppy back to the lfs. Oops, I forgot lol.
The root tabs should definitely make a difference. If not, I'd be surprised.

If I were building this all over again, I would start with a pair of pearl gouramis. Then slowly add what tank mates I could. Maybe I can talk hubby into a gourami tank versus a fancy goldfish tank.

Ok so hopefully once my fish and plants are in, the nitrates will rise a bit. That's strange how someone actually wants the nitrates to rise. Lol

You want Nitrates in ANY tank. Wether you have fake plants, one live plant, or 100's, you want them. Just not in SW ;)

You want Nitrates in ANY tank. Wether you have fake plants, one live plant, or 100's, you want them. Just not in SW ;)

What do nitrates do in SW tanks?
What I'm saying is that people are usually trying to lower their nitrate levels but I'm trying to raise it. :)

If I were building this all over again, I would start with a pair of pearl gouramis. Then slowly add what tank mates I could. Maybe I can talk hubby into a gourami tank versus a fancy goldfish tank.

Pair as in male and female, male and male, or female and female? Whose hubby? The only thing you gotta remember about pearls grow to around 3-5" max so that will greatly reduce the amount of fish you can have. :)

Pair as in male and female, male and male, or female and female? Whose hubby? The only thing you gotta remember about pearls grow to around 3-5" max so that will greatly reduce the amount of fish you can have. :)

My hubby. He wants (or at least talks about) getting a fancy goldfish. Maybe I can talk him into a gourami tank instead.

This would be for a new tank in the future, not my current one.

On a sad note, the rubber nose pleco died. No marks, no bloating, nothing. I'm thinking maybe I accidentally did too much dosing of excel and flourish? But I've done it before to no ill effects. Shrimp and cories are ok, too.

My hubby. He wants (or at least talks about) getting a fancy goldfish. Maybe I can talk him into a gourami tank instead.

This would be for a new tank in the future, not my current one.

On a sad note, the rubber nose pleco died. No marks, no bloating, nothing. I'm thinking maybe I accidentally did too much dosing of excel and flourish? But I've done it before to no ill effects. Shrimp and cories are ok, too.

Ohhh. Your husband. I just figured it out :lol:. Try showing your hubby pics on the gourami too. Maybe that will convince him. How many gallons is your future tank going to be? Oh no, I don't think excel and flourish can actually kill a fish and if the other fish are still alive, then it shouldn't be that. I'm not sure what happened.....

So no other fish have died and it seems like everyone is happy. I added one bamboo shrimp and he's hanging out near the bubble wall and filter. Not picking at the substrate which I understand to be a good thing. I've had him for a week and the water is so clear. Did a 50% pwc right before I added him to the community.

I want to set up the 10 g as a red cherry tank. Does anyone breed rcs?

Actually if your bamboo shrimp is picking at the gravel that isn't a good thing they are a filter feeding shrimp who require a nice flow for them to stand filter the water for food

Actually if your bamboo shrimp is picking at the gravel that isn't a good thing they are a filter feeding shrimp who require a nice flow for them to stand filter the water for food

No, it's not picking at the substrate at all. That's what I said. It's hanging out near the bubble wall where the filter output is strongest.

Oh I'm sorry I guess I didn't read that rite my bad

So no other fish have died and it seems like everyone is happy. I added one bamboo shrimp and he's hanging out near the bubble wall and filter. Not picking at the substrate which I understand to be a good thing. I've had him for a week and the water is so clear. Did a 50% pwc right before I added him to the community.

I want to set up the 10 g as a red cherry tank. Does anyone breed rcs?

Sweet! And how many bamboo shrimp do you have now?
Breeding rcs is really easy. I breed them and really he only thing you do is put at least 5-10 and after a few months, babies should be popping out. Just make sure you have a sponge filter and not too big of flow for the babies.

Back
Top Bottom