My first 20 gallon freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babies! I have baby red cherry shrimp in my 20 g. Right now, the 10 g is cycling. I started that yesterday. I went to look at how the shrimp were doing in the 20 g, and I saw tiny little shrimplets. They're about 0.25 inch long.

image-3256048659.jpg This is one of the adult males.

image-325297387.jpg. This is one of the adult females.

image-2847214369.jpg. That tiny pink blur next to the white pebble is a shrimplet.

image-3730778536.jpg. Now these are hard to see, but if you look in the leaves, you'll see two little pink blurs resting in the plant.

image-110361431.jpg. The bamboo shrimp. I had to stifle the bubble wall so you could see him.

image-3028108264.jpg. Two of the dainty cories.

image-1372270645.jpg the glowlight tetras and the red wag platys.

image-2935740512.jpg. The gourami, Chester.

image-1886642789.jpg The entire tank.

Sweet! And how many bamboo shrimp do you have now?
Breeding rcs is really easy. I breed them and really he only thing you do is put at least 5-10 and after a few months, babies should be popping out. Just make sure you have a sponge filter and not too big of flow for the babies.

I only have one bamboo shrimp.

See my previous post! My rcs had babies!!

Babies! I have baby red cherry shrimp in my 20 g. Right now, the 10 g is cycling. I started that yesterday. I went to look at how the shrimp were doing in the 20 g, and I saw tiny little shrimplets. They're about 0.25 inch long.

This is one of the adult males.

. This is one of the adult females.

. That tiny pink blur next to the white pebble is a shrimplet.

. Now these are hard to see, but if you look in the leaves, you'll see two little pink blurs resting in the plant.

. The bamboo shrimp. I had to stifle the bubble wall so you could see him.

. Two of the dainty cories.

the glowlight tetras and the red wag platys.

. The gourami, Chester.

The entire tank.

Wow! Nice! How many babies do you count? So your gonna put all the babies in the 10 gal?
Wow, you took a pic of almost everything :D. Is the bamboo shrimp red?

Wow! Nice! How many babies do you count? So your gonna put all the babies in the 10 gal?
Wow, you took a pic of almost everything :D. Is the bamboo shrimp red?

I counted seven at one time, but there's probably more. I'm going to try to put the babies in the ten gal and also some of the adult shrimps, if I can catch them.

The bamboo shrimp is a reddish brown.

Yeah, I got excited so I took lots of pictures. I'm just really happy nothing else has died and in fact it seems like life is flourishing!

I counted seven at one time, but there's probably more. I'm going to try to put the babies in the ten gal and also some of the adult shrimps, if I can catch them.

The bamboo shrimp is a reddish brown.

Yeah, I got excited so I took lots of pictures. I'm just really happy nothing else has died and in fact it seems like life is flourishing!

Life definitely looks like its flourishing :D. So is the 10g gonna be like a shrimp breeding tank? Are you gonna have live plants?

Life definitely looks like its flourishing :D. So is the 10g gonna be like a shrimp breeding tank? Are you gonna have live plants?

Yep! I'll probably plant a carpet of dwarf baby tears and some hornwort for floating cover.

Maybe some crypts and most likely driftwood.

Yep! I'll probably plant a carpet of dwarf baby tears and some hornwort for floating cover.

Maybe some crypts and most likely driftwood.

Baby tears like high light and co2. I don't really recommend them for beginners either. Glosso is a great substitute for baby tears though. They look somewhat alike and are also carpeting plants. Are you gonna have low, med, or high light?

Baby tears like high light and co2. I don't really recommend them for beginners either. Glosso is a great substitute for baby tears though. They look somewhat alike and are also carpeting plants. Are you gonna have low, med, or high light?
I'm not sure about the lighting yet. I still need to do research on the kind of plants I want versus what the shrimp will want, and also make sure everything has the same parameters and requirements.

I'm cycling the 10g. Started it on Sunday. I'm using an ammonium solution to do my fishless cycle. Ammonia is 6.0, nitrites are at 2, but no nitrates yet. I seeded the tank with some of my 20g's bio media, as well as squishing the sponge covering the 20g's intakes into the 10g. I also took the little bridge decoration from the 20g and put it in the 10. So hopefully this will only take a couple or weeks or so.

I need to get substrate and driftwood, lights, plants, and a heater. I'm saving up!!

I'm not sure about the lighting yet. I still need to do research on the kind of plants I want versus what the shrimp will want, and also make sure everything has the same parameters and requirements.

I'm cycling the 10g. Started it on Sunday. I'm using an ammonium solution to do my fishless cycle. Ammonia is 6.0, nitrites are at 2, but no nitrates yet. I seeded the tank with some of my 20g's bio media, as well as squishing the sponge covering the 20g's intakes into the 10g. I also took the little bridge decoration from the 20g and put it in the 10. So hopefully this will only take a couple or weeks or so.

I need to get substrate and driftwood, lights, plants, and a heater. I'm saving up!!

Looks like you got most of your tank plan layed out ;). For a 10 gal, LEDs wouldn't be too expensive and some will get you to high end of med light. Do you want sand or gravel? And your tank seems to be cycling pretty well :D.

So here are my red cherry shrimp, growing up. I think generation 3 is on its way, too. Males were swimming around a few days ago.

image-1061319179.jpg

image-1112705129.jpg

image-1501859334.jpg. The bamboo shrimp and a red cherry just beyond it.

image-559569041.jpg. The two red wag platys and Chester the gourami.

image-3132430562.jpg. This is one of the ghost shrimp.

image-3516093522.jpg. The whole community!

Parameters were good last night too. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. I love it.

Update: I set up and am running a 10 g red cherry shrimp tank. I've caught about 20 various sized shrimp from my 20 and they are flourishing in the 10.

So now I noticed the cories are more active and playful, and the ghost shrimp are out and about more. I had more of them than I thought. At least that's what I assumed.

However, and I'm sure that no one will believe this but I have several juvenile ghost shrimp in my tank. I have the four old ones. They have white google eyes and huge long whiskers and are almost two inches long. But I saw one that was smaller, about an inch long yesterday, and today, I saw another young one and, I swear, one baby ghost. It looks like a small red cherry but colorless and with longer whiskers than the cherries.

I kid you not.

image-2507581168.jpg. This ones about an inch big.

image-3731367369.jpg. More shrimp.

image-788917755.jpg

Of course now that I'm looking for the tiny one, I can't find it. Grr.

I also got a school of cardinal neon tetras. They are so cool!

Found the baby ghost shrimp!!

ForumRunner_20130811_203226.jpg

Its between the pink rock and the plant. Its about a half inch long. Definitely does NOT look like a cherry to me.

Back
Top Bottom