My first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may be a little late to the "how do I stock this" party, but I would take that tank and turn it into a red cherry shrimp tank. I gave some of my RCS colony to a friend whose son is about your son's age. She started up a shrimp tank for him and tells me he's absolutely fascinated by the shrimp and sits in his little chair in front of them for long periods of time. You could also get a snail or some endlers livebearers. That would be a really pretty tank.

I'm sorry I keep asking all these questions but I figure it's the only way to learn/ get the right answer. Can ghost or crs live with fake plants? Can I just stock the aquarium with different types of fake and driftwood ?

+1 to Shrimp and Endlers ~ Red Cherries and ghosts are really great, even by themselves in a colony. Driftwood is a nice addition to the aquarium and as well as live/plastic plants. Having plastic plants probably won't do anything to the fish or shrimp. Some other stocking options can be maybe 2-3 male platies (Am I pushing it a bit?), or instead try endler's live bearers. 1 Male betta could live with the shrimp, but it depends on the betta. Mine hates company, but I've seen so many peaceful male bettas before. :) Good luck finding stocking ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't shrimp and snails have like TONES of offspring?

Ekkk! I don't mind the shrimp having babies but snails...I'll prolly just get one I have read a few ppl say that if I get shrimp to put nylon or something over the intake for the filter so they don't get sucked in but what about when I vac the rocks? Should I net them?

Most of the shrimp are smart enough to stay away from the python when I do my water changes. I use an item called the "claw" and it protects most items from entering the python. It gives me a little more control in my RCS tank.

I think trying to net them would be a lesson in futility. It would be pretty funny to watch you try, though. :cool:

Not all snails overpopulate a tank. My assassins breed really really slowly. Plus, they are popular, it's easy to give them away.

I'm at work but will try to post later tonight (I have a few appointments after work today).

You could do 2-3 platys but that's about all the fish you could have in there (with the exception of shrimp and snails). If you wanted more variety, look into nano fish: celestial pearl danio, ember tetra and chili rasbora are some common ones. You could do 6 of one type of nano fish, one platy, and 4 of either corydoras hasbrosus, corydoras pygmaeus or corydoras hastus. Or you could eliminate one of the above and try some endler's livebearers. Just be careful with male and female livebearers; you'll have babies in no time lol Here's a search for similar threads; you might get some other stocking ideas.

A good small snail that can't breed in freshwater are nerites.

How are you cycling? Here's a guide if you haven't seen it yet: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

So I got some java ferns and a new air stone/bubbler, more gravel, and two glo fish , I spoke to a private seller where I got the everything and he said the glos with 3-4 platies will be fine for a yr or so but I will need to upgrade the tank,but by then I will have a larger tank, lol

Annakhil said:
So I got some java ferns and a new air stone/bubbler, more gravel, and two glo fish , I spoke to a private seller where I got the everything and he said the glos with 3-4 platies will be fine for a yr or so but I will need to upgrade the tank,but by then I will have a larger tank, lol

How many glows?

This is the tank, sorry so dark but it's In my sons room and he's sleeping so I had to quickly take the pic

Attachments

• image-1498009091.jpg
    image-1498009091.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 72
Annakhil said:
This is the tank, sorry so dark but it's In my sons room and he's sleeping so I had to quickly take the pic

O I think I see one of the glo fish

Back
Top Bottom