My first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Annakhil said:
Marineland bio wheel 30 I think

Ok u should be ok with three glows and 4 platies just make sure u test ur water daily for the first couple of days and if lets say ammonia is to high( just a example) then u will want to rehome some of the fish

Guggiboy123 said:
Ok u should be ok with three glows and 4 platies just make sure u test ur water daily for the first couple of days and if lets say ammonia is to high( just a example) then u will want to rehome some of the fish

But ur going to want to get another 10 gallon or a bigger tank in the future

I want to eventually get a 26g bow front so I can put it on a stand in my computer room since I'm a programmer and spend the lot of my time there it will be nice to watch when I'm not staring at screen. Lol

Annakhil said:
I want to eventually get a 26g bow front so I can put it on a stand in my computer room since I'm a programmer and spend the lot of my time there it will be nice to watch when I'm not staring at screen. Lol

Ya Tht sounds good I have a 25 long and it really is a nice size tank when u don't have a ton of time and money to put in to it

Guggiboy123 said:
Ya Tht sounds good I have a 25 long and it really is a nice size tank when u don't have a ton of time and money to put in to it

It's been great hopefully helping u lol and if u have any more questions in the future I would be glad to answer them to the best of my abilities

Do you have a liquid test kit to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate while you cycle? Don't waste money on test strips - the results aren't accurate. You'll want to pick up something like API Master test kit and test daily while cycling. Check out the sticky posts for more info. Make sure ammonia stays below 0.25 through frequent (possibly daily) water changes and sparse (every 2-3 days) feeding until your filter builds up the ability to turn waste (ammonia) into nitrAte, which is less toxic and can be removed with less frequent water changes. If your local store doesn't carry a good liquid testing kit, Amazon sells the API kit at a reasonable price.

Also use a good quality dechlorinator. Most prefer Seachem's Prime. It's highly concentrated, and will temporarily also neutralize ammonia.

SolvingNormal said:
Do you have a liquid test kit to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate while you cycle? Don't waste money on test strips - the results aren't accurate. You'll want to pick up something like API Master test kit and test daily while cycling. Check out the sticky posts for more info. Make sure ammonia stays below 0.25 through frequent (possibly daily) water changes and sparse (every 2-3 days) feeding until your filter builds up the ability to turn waste (ammonia) into nitrAte, which is less toxic and can be removed with less frequent water changes. If your local store doesn't carry a good liquid testing kit, Amazon sells the API kit at a reasonable price.

Also use a good quality dechlorinator. Most prefer Seachem's Prime. It's highly concentrated, and will temporarily also neutralize ammonia.

Yes I have the API master test kit, my father keeps track and tests daily, and he told me when I was able to add fish, I trust him since he has had aquariums for around 40 yrs. he did saltwater for along time but came back to freshwater about 5 yrs ago. I have a python so I do PwC with that. I will ask him next time he tests what the results are and post them.

Log into Freecycle.Org and check in your local areas. I got my first fish tank there, a 30 gallon, for free. That's what Freecycle is all about. I had that tank for years, no issues. It's a nice way to upgrade. You would only need to purchase equipment, although sometimes they do list tanks including equipment for free. Then you'd just need new filter media.

LyndaB said:
Log into Freecycle.Org and check in your local areas. I got my first fish tank there, a 30 gallon, for free. That's what Freecycle is all about. I had that tank for years, no issues. It's a nice way to upgrade. You would only need to purchase equipment, although sometimes they do list tanks including equipment for free. Then you'd just need new filter media.

Oh my gosh! Thank you! The only thing holding me back was cost

Hey guys quick question, what products would y'all recommend if I want to do a small DIY co2 for my ferns? I saw this little ci

Sorry my nephew felt like typing, I saw a small Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 100 and was wondering what goes on the other end if this ceramic item? Pics would help me too...lol

Personally, I think you should get the basics of fishkeeping under your belt before you enter the world of CO2.

CO2 can be a bit of a drag. Try not to get into everything too fast because it can be overwhelming

Annakhil said:
Sorry my nephew felt like typing, I saw a small Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 100 and was wondering what goes on the other end if this ceramic item? Pics would help me too...lol

So how's the tank

It's looking good, just got done doing a PwC when you asked, I think the ghost shrimp like it, found out one of them is carrying eggs but I'm ok with that. Just seeing how these plants do using natural and artificial light

Attachments

• image-2746116621.jpg
    image-2746116621.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 66
Annakhil said:
It's looking good, just got done doing a PwC when you asked, I think the ghost shrimp like it, found out one of them is carrying eggs but I'm ok with that. Just seeing how these plants do using natural and artificial light

Nice gravel

My levels, I don't know why the ammonia is clear I tested it twice and both times looked like this, it might be because I did a 40% PwC earlier

Attachments

• image-4142558445.jpg
    image-4142558445.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 50
PWC doesn't have anything to do with the clear result. When it's clear like that it means that you did the test wrong. Fill to 5 ml the add 8 drops of the first bottle, then add 8 from the second bottle and shake vigorously

Back
Top Bottom