My First Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Can anyone interpret my first test results and advise the best course of action?

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5.0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

Not really sure where I go from here.......

AndyN, are you using ammonia, or another product? At present aside from the water change...continue the cycle...your not there yet, but because Nitrate is now present your getting close. You could use Prime to make sure any new water has no chlorine, and any ammonia is bound for bacteria consumption. PP

AndyN, are you using ammonia, or another product? At present aside from the water change...continue the cycle...your not there yet, but because Nitrate is now present your getting close. You could use Prime to make sure any new water has no chlorine, and any ammonia is bound for bacteria consumption. PP

+1 agree

Lol thanks guys - I'm just a bit confused now. Should I be doing a pwc or not? Also, should I be worried my Ph is so high?

Your Nitrites are very high as expected to oxydize the ammonia...IMO perhaps a 20% and test tomorrow to see if the ammonia is closer to zero, and NItrites are lower or higher...trying to determine if they have spiked out yet...or still building. At this stage of the game its not exact amounts that count...more the idea of finding what the nitrates are doing. How long have been cycling your tank and are you going to have plants? see concern with high PH yes do 50% and with no fish just smile... PP

Your Nitrites are very high as expected to oxydize the ammonia...IMO perhaps a 20% and test tomorrow to see if the ammonia is closer to zero, and NItrites are lower or higher...trying to determine if they have spiked out yet...or still building. At this stage of the game its not exact amounts that count...more the idea of finding what the nitrates are doing. How long have been cycling your tank and are you going to have plants? PP

Thanks PP - I already have plants and bogwood (one piece of bogwood has 2 plants on and is from a cycled tank). The tank has been cycling for about 10 days so far.

Thanks

AndyN, and other members, I'm new on this forum and really don't have much history with forum's Please forgive me if I'm not following any protocall, for I just seen a subject I have experience with and jumpped on it. And 10 days into a cycle with good nitrates up and coming...that is great. The reason I mention Prime, is more for future water changes as you don't want chlorine to ever get into your tank even for a short amount of time...it will kill your bacteria that has been so carefully developed. and It will bind the ammonia but still make it available to your plants...though it takes longer for them to consume...something about binding them does slow the available process just a little bit. Now for faster available ammonia just get tap water conditioner think its by api...it breaks Chloramine bond and destroyies the chlorine but leaves the ammonia and does it immediate...not time for chlorine to hurt your cycle. PP

If it is fishless don't bother with the water change, it's just more work for you. Do a water change if nitrite goes off the chart. Other than that leave it alone and dose ammonia back up.

Thanks PP - I'm new here too, but IMO if you know the answer and can help others then get on it!! I have done a 20% pwc so will test again tomorrow. As for chlorine I use something called aquasafe by tetra.

So what should I be looking for in my test tomorrow if things are moving forward!?

Thanks blert - just done the change - oh well, all good practice! Dosed up my ammonia again will see what tomorrow brings!

My applogies blert, Your correct it has been a while since I cycled a tank, and yes you do want to raise the ammonia back up to 5 ppm. and with no fish...a water change is not required...Please forgive my haste to post...I too must learn from my mistakes. PP

It's all good PP - it's only a 20% change of a 120L so took about 5 mins :)

Back
Top Bottom