My First Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using your own words: "
We do not call the bacteria 'nitrite' and 'nitrate', that's just outright confusing. Nitrite ( NO2 ) and Nitrate ( NO3 ) are chemical compounds of nitrogen and oxygen. They are not bacteria but are the waste products of said bacteria.
They are not bacteria but are the waste products of said bacteria
I don't think your worth me wasting time with, and if you want to troll find another for I don't like to get off into another realm over some trivia of words you seek to ground. :wave:PP

Hi, no one is trolling, he's just giving you information, so knock it off please and soak it in a little bit.

jetajockey said:
Hi, no one is trolling, he's just giving you information, so knock it off please and soak it in a little bit.

Favorite mod for sure! With a killer bird so I'd be careful!

Also I am using experiences of my own to back up what is true.

Thanks Hobgob - I will do the change when I start eliminating ammonia in 24hrs - hopefully that will be over the coming days!

I'm away for 48 hours over the weekend, any advice on what to do with the tank? Do I dose up before I leave to keep the bacteria fed?

Before you leave chk to see if ammonia drops below 4ppm...if not IMO it would be OK to leave but upon arrival home see where it is and care for same as you have been. I don't see any problems with your efforts to date and as expected your Nitrites went off the scale, but noted your ammonia stayed low...it won't be long and the ammonia will not even get off the ground, and you will start to focus on nitrites. PP

Before you leave chk to see if ammonia drops below 4ppm...if not IMO it would be OK to leave but upon arrival home see where it is and care for same as you have been. I don't see any problems with your efforts to date and as expected your Nitrites went off the scale, but noted your ammonia stayed low...it won't be long and the ammonia will not even get off the ground, and you will start to focus on nitrites. PP

Thanks for your help PP :)

I wish to add when you leave make sure you have good air circulation for the bacteria does like good oxygen circulation and in your absents that is the only issue you would have to be concerned with. That based on information your have provided up to now. So short of a power failure or any chlorine getting to your cultured bacteria...nothing should hurt the cycle. PP

I have an air stone and have set the pump to disrupt the surface water - hopefully that should cover it!

I wish to add when you leave make sure you have good air circulation for the cycles does like good oxygen circulation and in your absents that is the only issue you would have to be concerned with. That based on information your have provided up to now. I don't personally believe PH will have an impact on your cycle, for you have no fish to be concerned, and a high PH above 7 keeps ammonia from going into ammonium. So short of a power failure or any chlorine getting to your cultured bacteria...nothing should hurt the cycle.
Think this was double posted sorry about that. PP

PremativePeat said:
I wish to add when you leave make sure you have good air circulation for the bacteria does like good oxygen circulation and in your absents that is the only issue you would have to be concerned with. That based on information your have provided up to now. So short of a power failure or any chlorine getting to your cultured bacteria...nothing should hurt the cycle. PP

Why would that only be when they leave if this way a problem it would already be present not allowing you beneficial bacteria to grow!

AndyN said:
I have an air stone and have set the pump to disrupt the surface water - hopefully that should cover it!

What you have set up in the first place will be fine. Otherwise your cycle wouldn't have went anywhere in the first place, if you don't have enough oxygen you bb wouldn't colonize.

I'm so so sorry op, you are probably totally confused about cycling now because of the wrong information. Did you check out the sticky for fishless cycling? Maybe it has some good stuff in it for you...

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have set up in the first place will be fine. Otherwise your cycle wouldn't have went anywhere in the first place, if you don't have enough oxygen you bb wouldn't colonize.

I'm so so sorry op, you are probably totally confused about cycling now because of this pp person and their wrong information. Did you check out the sticky for fishless cycling? Maybe it has some good stuff in it for you...

I did hobgob very insightful!

Today's results:

After dosing up to 4ppm last night:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Dosed up to 4ppm again........

Christmas Eve Reading:

Ph: 7.8
Nitrite: Off Scale
Nitrate: 20ppm

Happy Fishmas people :)

Christmas Eve Reading:

Happy Fishmas people :)

So no real change for a few days - is this normal?

Today's readings:

Ammonia: 0.25

Any advice? PWC? Keep dosing to 4ppm?

Thanks

A full water change to try to get nitrite to a readable level on the chart wouldn't hurt (it might take a couple of full water changes depending on how high nitrites are; try to get them <2). Then redose ammonia and check in 24 hours.

A full water change to try to get nitrite to a readable level on the chart wouldn't hurt (it might take a couple of full water changes depending on how high nitrites are; try to get them <2). Then redose ammonia and check in 24 hours.

Done one 90% water change results not changed much - guess I will have to do another at the weekend.

Done one 90% water change results not changed much - guess I will have to do another at the weekend.

Good idea. If an almost full water change hasn't changed nitrite readings then they must be very high. Keep going with the water changes. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom