My last Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi y'all... yes I am in Texas, I have a 165g reef tank and was wondering what y'all think a good addition to my tank would be.
Stock:
Mandarin Goby
2'' Regal Tang
2" yellow tang
4'' Australian duss Tang
S Male McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
I have about 200+ lbs of liverock so i hardly ever see the Mandarin Goby.

I am trying to decide between a smaller Clown Tang, Achilles Tang, or a Black Tang

My tank is very established and I am very well equipped as far as filtration, and other behind the scenes things.

My question is basically.... What Tang will be the least aggressive towards my other tangs?

:thanks:

IMO, Clowns are notorious bullies, so that would be off the list first. The other two are probably a toss up for aggressiveness. Achilles are notorious for low survival rates, so I'd probably go Black Tang if those were my three choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Achilles are also super high flow tangs as they live in surge zones off of Hawaii. I'd go black tang as well just for sure rare awesomeness

I was just worried about having two tangs in the family zebrasoma, hear the yellow tang would might be a bully to the black tang

You end up with the same family problem with any of those three. Your Dussumieri is Acanthurus (Achiles and Clown) and your Yellow is Zebrasoma (Black). I've seen tanks with all sorts of mixes and "same family" that were okay. It works sometimes and sometimes not. Your fish's individual personality is the unknown factor.

The yellow tang is generally chill, the only time he wasn't was a while ago when I tried to keep a small sailfin tang in with him

It is how accepting the Yellow is to the Black and/or how much the Black decides it wants to go after the Yellow. You won't know until you add it and IMO, that's an expensive experiment. I've seen tanks with multiple Yellows that all got along, which goes contrary to the "by the book" approach. I've also heard of Clown Tangs that never showed signs of aggression.

If you are looking to not do "same family", you are left with any of the bristletooth tangs (Kole, Tomini, white tail, etc) or Nasos. That still is no guarantee though.

If you do go with the Black Tang, I would make sure the size difference is large between him and the yellow with the black being larger. Yellows can be feisty but Blacks can hold their own when they are larger. I've had blacks from the size of a U.S quarter coin to the size of small plate and they have very different attitudes at those different sizes. If necessary, you might need to isolate the yellow until the black gets settled and familiar with the new tank setup. ( can you tell I am really into black Tangs? :D lol)
Having said all that, a nice medium sized naso or unicorn might make for a less aggressive environment upon introduction. A Kole ( yelloweye) will be a good algae scraper for ya as well and still looks nice as an adult (opposed to say a Chevron (IMO) ) with a Tomini adding a little extra color than a Kole.

But if the bottom line question is which fish will be the least aggressive towards the EXISTING fish, I'd go with Naso or Unicorn. They are far less aggressive than circular shaped Tangs. ( and Blacks can be aggressive!!!!)

Hope this helps (y)

I can't even introduce my 2 year old clown tang to my main tank with all the other tangs because he is way too aggressive. Eats like a pig (I got lucky) but swims like a mad man constantly in my 6' long frag tank. Spectacular colors, he is just too angry.

I have gotten rid of all my tangs except for the blue hippo, and I now have a Foxface.
What's a good fit now for a few tangs?

Here is what I want.
Black tang
Blonde Naso
Chevron tang
These will work together if I am not mistaken correct?

Back
Top Bottom