My new 100G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just another update.
Tonight I'm expecting the arrival of 15 Kerri tetras, and 5 Gertruade Rainbows (from severum mama) to be add to the tank!!

Really excited about it!! I will post pictures tomorrow after they get use to their new home.

Ok finally here is a video of my 100G tank, community..... Love it, love my Angelfish and all my tetras, rummys and kerris, I hope that you like it:

nex step

After starting to stock my tank, now i would like to hear your opinions for proper lighting.
The tank came with a customize canopy, with a regular light, it holds 2 bulbs, long ones of regular flourescent lights....
What type of lights could be good for a 100G tank?
I just have 1 plant, java moss, and I planning to add more plants, but I think that i will go for easy plants, the ones that wont require CO2 or high watts of light., or fertilizers (If any exist with these conditions).....

In summary :
What type of lights do you recommend? I like a moon light also.....
What types of plants will work with my plan?

ejaramillo01 said:
Thank you guys!!

Any suggestion regarding lights?

Yep, talk to fort,the mod. Knows a lot about plants.

Now next week I will add 2 kamaka rainbows, 4 purpple danios, and 2 apistos.

My tank has 2 regular fluorescent light bulbs, 39 watts each. But I don't like it!! I get the impression that the color of my fish fade a little due to the lack of light.
What do you recommend to me to upgrade my lights? I am also planing to add some low light plants such as moss, anubias and swords.

Recommendations of the possible new lighting system will be appreciated.

ejaramillo01 said:
Now next week I will add 2 kamaka rainbows, 4 purpple danios, and 2 apistos.

My tank has 2 regular fluorescent light bulbs, 39 watts each. But I don't like it!! I get the impression that the color of my fish fade a little due to the lack of light.
What do you recommend to me to upgrade my lights? I am also planing to add some low light plants such as moss, anubias and swords.

Recommendations of the possible new lighting system will be appreciated.

I decided to buy a TH5 fixture, retrofit kit, for my tank. It's a double 48" bulbs, white light, 54W each with 6,000 K. Definitely the tank looks better and the fish colors look nicer.

Which being honest with you, I don't know if was the best, but doing my own research, was the most cost effective way, in my opinion, to being able to add some low light plants in the short future. Today I just have java moss, just a little, not to much.

What do you guys think?

I think that will be no problem for low light plants. You listed moss, anubias, and swords as plants that you like, IMO you can keep all of those under the upgraded light. Also, you can look into plants like cryptocorynes and vallisneria, and some of the easier stem plants like hygrophila corymbosa and rotala rotundifolia. Crypts and swords are heavy root feeders and would benefit from the use of root tabs. I use Seachem brand, but there are other brands out there too.

I think that will be no problem for low light plants. You listed moss, anubias, and swords as plants that you like, IMO you can keep all of those under the upgraded light. Also, you can look into plants like cryptocorynes and vallisneria, and some of the easier stem plants like hygrophila corymbosa and rotala rotundifolia. Crypts and swords are heavy root feeders and would benefit from the use of root tabs. I use Seachem brand, but there are other brands out there too.

Agreed ... the plants listed above will all do fine under your lights. I have a single 48" 36W 5000K bulb and Ferns and Swords seem to be fine. I'm looking to upgrade to a 6500K.

WOWZA!!! That is one beautiful tank!! Great deal on CL too!! (y)

You're just a little over 1wpg like I am on my tank. Of course your tank is almost twice as big. ;) I have quite a few low-med light plants in my tank and leave the lights on for 10-12 hrs/day. I experienced an algae bloom after starting w/ ferts, (Flourish only), but it wasn't bad. I'm planning on getting my lights on a timer soon so I can reduce the photoperiod and possibly divide it. But for right now, it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom