My new 100G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I found one of my Gertruade Rainbows dead :-(

Was the smallest of the five, I'm getting really suspicious of my Angel, the problem is that I love my Angelfish, and I have never seen her being aggressive.
The poor little Rainbow was with no head, just half of his body was left. Do you agree that the Angelfish could be the aggressor ?

ejaramillo01 said:
Today I found one of my Gertruade Rainbows dead :-(

Was the smallest of the five, I'm getting really suspicious of my Angel, the problem is that I love my Angelfish, and I have never see her being aggressive.
The poor little Rainbow was with no head, just half of his body was left. Do you agree that the Angelfish could be the aggressor ?

When I added angelfish to my community tank with carinal tetras and black skirts, I started seeing half-eaten tetras(cardinals). In my case, I think what happened was the angels searched for food and found the sleeping tetras before "light on". I took the angels out and it never happened again. That's just my experience with angelsfish.

There was no half eaten tetra before I added and after i took out the angelfish. So I can assume that it was the angelfish that attacked the poor cardinals.

roydooms said:
When I added angelfish to my community tank with carinal tetras and black skirts, I started seeing half-eaten tetras(cardinals). In my case, I think what happened was the angels searched for food and found the sleeping tetras before "light on". I took the angels out and it never happened again. That's just my experience with angelsfish.

Yeah, I added the Angel small at the same time that the rest of the tetras, but now is getting big..... I will keep an eye on it.

McLumpy said:
That is so sad. :( I have no experience w/ Angels, but I've heard that they can be aggressive.

Sorry for the loss. :(

Thank you McLumpy. I really liked the little rainbows, but looks like they are one of the smallest type of rainbows, which I did not know.
I just hope that the other four survive and get a little bigger.

Thank you McLumpy. I really liked the little rainbows, but looks like they are one of the smallest type of rainbows, which I did not know.
I just hope that the other four survive and get a little bigger.

You could always use a tank divider until the Rainbows get bigger, (that is if they make a divider big enough for a 100g). I have one on reserve for my 55g, (for the 'just in case').

McLumpy said:
You could always use a tank divider until the Rainbows get bigger, (that is if they make a divider big enough for a 100g). I have one on reserve for my 55g, (for the 'just in case').

Good idea, now you make me think!!
Maybe I will re home them to my 10G tank (betta, plecto, SAE) until they get bigger

Thanks for sharing the light bulbs (ideas) lol

Sad update
I did not learn the lesson... I found another two of my beautiful Gertruade rainbows decapitated. :-(
I'm down to 2 now... Which I just re-homed to the 10 gallon tank... With the betta and a SAE.... Hopefully they will survive there....

I would like to hear opinions about the possible aggressor : the Angelfish or the male Apistos ???

ejaramillo01 said:
Sad update
I did not learn the lesson... I found another two of my beautiful Gertruade rainbows decapitated. :-(
I'm down to 2 now... Which I just re-homed to the 10 gallon tank... With the betta and a SAE.... Hopefully they will survive there....

I would like to hear opinions about the possible aggressor : the Angelfish or the male Apistos ???

Definitely angels. Apistos in a 100g would be docile.

McLumpy said:
:( I am completely speechless. That is so sad!! Moving the Rainbows to your 10g sounded like your only choice.

Thanks McLumpy, I'm just mad with myself, because we discussed the possible solutions early (when the first dead) and I did not act on time. I was hoping that was an exemption.
But I think that I learned this time. It is not the fish (Angel) fault, fish will behave as natural as they can in a tank, it is really important research the compatibility to prevent these kind of problems. Also If we see a problem of aggression, bulling, etc, we need to do sometime about it, because this behaviors are not going to go away just with time.

Thanks for being emphatic !!
:)

Thanks McLumpy, I'm just mad with myself, because we discussed the possible solutions early (when the first dead) and I did not act on time. I was hoping that was an exemption.
But I think that I learned this time. It is not the fish (Angel) fault, fish will behave as natural as they can in a tank, it is really important research the compatibility to prevent these kind of problems. Also If we see a problem of aggression, bulling, etc, we need to do sometime about it, because this behaviors are not going to go away just with time.

Thanks for being emphatic !!
:)

Don't feel so bad about it, seriously. Like you said, it's in their nature to act the way they do and sometimes you can't correct the situation before it's too late. Just be grateful that you were prepared by having a 10g set up. Not too many people have a 2nd tank for emergency situations such as this one.

How are your 2 guys doing btw? Any plans to get more or are you getting overstocked on your 10g?

McLumpy said:
Don't feel so bad about it, seriously. Like you said, it's in their nature to act the way they do and sometimes you can't correct the situation before it's too late. Just be grateful that you were prepared by having a 10g set up. Not too many people have a 2nd tank for emergency situations such as this one.

How are your 2 guys doing btw? Any plans to get more or are you getting overstocked on your 10g?

Thanks, :) your post always make me smile...

They are doing good, the 10G tank is not crowded, it is good, I just have my betta, 1 Siamese algae eater, the two Gertruade rainbows, 5 Ammano shrimps, and one albino brittlenose Pleco. But I will move the Pleco to the 100G tank tomorrow.

I don't know if I will need to get more rainbows, they are really small, but I don't know if will be fine in the 10 gallon.
I will research more to see if they will do better in groups.... :)

Thanks, :) your post always make me smile...

They are doing good, the 10G tank is not crowded, it is good, I just have my betta, 1 Siamese algae eater, the two Gertruade rainbows, 5 Ammano shrimps, and one albino brittlenose Pleco. But I will move the Pleco to the 100G tank tomorrow.

I don't know if I will need to get more rainbows, they are really small, but I don't know if will be fine in the 10 gallon.
I will research more to see if they will do better in groups.... :)

Awww shucks. :oops: Not too many people know about my "soft side", so keep that on the DL, ok? ;) lol

Definitely research those little guys! I don't know anything about them, but I'm sure they would love the company if you decide to get more. *hint hint* Not trying to be a bad influence btw, eh... or am I? Bwahahahahahaha!! :D

Sounds like my Angels, only they go after my shrimp. Every morning when I wake up, there is always at least one foreground plant floating in the water that they tore up in the middle of the night. I swear they think they are always starving. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom