My New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It also provides a place to plant anubias and other plants...such as java moss just another something to keep in mind

I say don't go with the driftwood (I bet your mom is a little ticked going out and back on fishy tasks). I say don't go out and buy something unless it's entirely necessary, but if you really feel you need to go ahead. (I really don't think it was pH guppies are very hardy.)

I've been reading and you said you don't have any airstones... Do you have anything that breaks the water surface in Your tanks? It could be a big problem. Oxygenation takes place in breaks of the water surface. That's why a 20 long can home more fish then 20 high or normal 20 because there is more surface area to allow oxygenation. If you have the money you should invest in a bubble wall or an air stone. I have a nice flat round one under more rock about 3 inch wide. A corner filter with a normal airstone and my Aquatech filter also pours into my tank. You could give it a try. You can also do a lot with bubbles. Try making a water fall out of bubbles it does look cool and it's good for your fish.

Hobgob said:
I've been reading and you said you don't have any airstones... Do you have anything that breaks the water surface in Your tanks? It could be a big problem. Oxygenation takes place in breaks of the water surface. That's why a 20 long can home more fish then 20 high or normal 20 because there is more surface area to allow oxygenation. If you have the money you should invest in a bubble wall or an air stone. I have a nice flat round one under more rock about 3 inch wide. A corner filter with a normal airstone and my Aquatech filter also pours into my tank. You could give it a try. You can also do a lot with bubbles. Try making a water fall out of bubbles it does look cool and it's good for your fish.

How would u make a bubble waterfall?

I did find an airstone to put in. I thought I had mentioned that in a post. Also, my filter current was supposed to be enough, but I added the airstone because it didn't seem to be enough.

Oh sorry, apparently it skipped a couple of pages when I was reading. That's good though. They are important

maxwellag said:
How would u make a bubble waterfall?

Use a bubble wall under the gravel and get some rock slate an layer it so it's all angled upwards a tad. So the part furthest away is lower then the front. The bubbles will go straight up and follow how the rocks are. You can do a lot with bubbles, you just have to experiment.

To hob gob: Oh cool! I might do that but I don't have any rocks right now...

maxwellag said:
To hob gob: Oh cool! I might do that but I don't have any rocks right now...

Ya my dad just has a bunch of slate around here that we've always used for our aquariums in the living room I just had to split a bunch for my tank

The bubble wall sounds cool. Is it normal for guppies to nip at algae? I'm in that new tank diatom stage, and all of my guppies swarm around the algae and nip at it and eat it.

Bettababe1011 said:
The bubble wall sounds cool. Is it normal for guppies to nip at algae? I'm in that new tank diatom stage, and all of my guppies swarm around the algae and nip at it and eat it.

Yes a lot of fish eat algea. It's a form of vegetation that they need for their diet.

Bettababe1011 said:
Okay. I figured it was normal since all of them were doing it.

Ya my kribs do it a lot and the same with the gouramis

All of the guppies are still doing great.

Fed the shrimp today, they're huge! I think I could have put one in and fed the whole tank! The fish are picking a them, though, and they're slowly getting smaller...

Bettababe1011 said:
All of the guppies are still doing great.

Fed the shrimp today, they're huge! I think I could have put one in and fed the whole tank! The fish are picking a them, though, and they're slowly getting smaller...

What kind of shrimp do you have and do you have any gaps at the top of your aquarium? I was gonna buy a wood shrimp I believe it's called

It's sun dried some-weird-name-I-can't-type-or-pronounce shrimp. It's can shrimp! That lives in a food can!

I don't have any live shrimp. I'm sure they'd be food by now.

Back
Top Bottom