My tank is blah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The angels might nkt get on with the gbrs and the neons ciuld make a nice snack for the angels

The neons or cardinals will probably be OK......Also, there is always a transition period when putting cichlids together, that's just the way they are.....I bet you could put 2 GBR's and 1 angel in there, and after they get used to each other you should be fine. There probably will be a slight bit of aggression at first, to form a pecking order, but after things are settled, everything should be OK (y)

I LOVE rams! I think they are the cutest things ever! However, I would only be able to have Bolivian because my pH is way to high for GBR. I like GBR's because of the color... Bolivians are a lot less colorful. I've heard a lot about rainbows, but I'm not liking the shapes of most of them... I'll keep researching them. I thought maybe some gouramies and angels. I'm definitely getting about 6 or 7 cories to go in there.. I just need something else... Yes, I agree about the plants in the back.. I'm working on that! :)

Look at furcata rainbow fish and oddballfish.com. I don't like the same of most of them either, but I LOVE some of them. :)

In my experience angels and rams ignore each other. I've had them together for a year.

Rams are often kept with angels as they have similar water requirements. I had 11 rams with 14 angels in the 220g in the beginning. No issues. The reason I began removing ram pairs and only keep 4 rams in there now is due to ram aggression with each other. I now have 12 large breeding angels and 2 ram pairs and there is never any issues. Plus if you buy angels when they are small and keep them with small fish they tend to ignore small fish as they mature. I keep 25 cardinals that are maybe 1/2 grown in with those 12 large angels and never have issues either. I see no reason you can't add angels. GBR's can actually acclimate to higher Ph as long as they aren't wild caught (which you don't run across very often anymore) but they do much better adjusting to a tank that is at least 6 months mature.

Honestly I think it's perfect for you to start planting, if you put a carpet in and some longer plants in the background it would look awesome.

I'd say add a background (or paint it), add some taller plants, maybe try some apple snails (they have purple, yellow, blue) and maybe some taller driftwood. You've got a great start. Nice, clean tank! (y)

I see you have a black background (I think). Nevermind that part!

Angels and rams are usually fine together. Angels stay at the top and rams stay on the bottom, so they don't bother each other. You could get a couple gourami, opaline, gold, pearl.

You could have angels and rams together I too have them in the same tank and they don't bother each other at all.

Ok this is slightly OT but will rams do well with angels, a brown knife, african LEAF fish, and bumble bee cats?

I have a Bolivian ram and I absolutely LOVE him! I also just got some ornate rainbow fish and love them as well! Where are you thinking of putting the sword? Your hard scape looks awesome! I think once you get more plants and they fill out you will love it! My tank looks bare right now but I got tired of the fake plants and I took them all out and am slowly adding more live plants. I love my stock, now that I'm getting more and more plants I'm loving my tank more and more, hopefully it's that way for you!

Okay, I think I've narrowed down the list for this tank... I found some more fish that I like...

Cory Cats
Odessa barbs
Cardinal Tetras
True Rummynose Tetra
German Blue Ram
Angelfish
Possibly a flame gourami

Which of these could I add to this tank and it complete the tank? I'm getting ready to purchase a Filstar XP3 canister filter and a butt load of plants. I'd definitely like to add some more neons, cardinals, and cories.

This is what you already listed as stock in your 55g, 5 black skirts, 5 black neons, 5 harlequin, and 6 neons. With this I would do 1 or 2 dime or nickle size bodied angels and you could do a dwarf flame gourami or a german blue ram. Then instead of upping your neons I'd suggest adding cardinals as the neons will school with them. You could add 6 Cardinals. A group of 6 cory cats would be a good finishing touch and you'd be 100% stocked.

This is what you already listed as stock in your 55g, 5 black skirts, 5 black neons, 5 harlequin, and 6 neons. With this I would do 1 or 2 dime or nickle size bodied angels and you could do a dwarf flame gourami or a german blue ram. Then instead of upping your neons I'd suggest adding cardinals as the neons will school with them. You could add 6 Cardinals. A group of 6 cory cats would be a good finishing touch and you'd be 100% stocked.

Okay, so total I would have:

5 x black skirts
5 x black neons
5 x harlequin rasboras
6 x neons
6 x cardinals
6 x cories
1 x angel
1 x german blue ram

Is that correct??

I agree with the taller plants in the back and maybe a background. Have you looked at American Flagfish? They are beautiful! I want a few for my 55 gal.

I agree with the taller plants in the back and maybe a background. Have you looked at American Flagfish? They are beautiful! I want a few for my 55 gal.

Those are neat looking fish.. maybe after my black skirts or black neons are gone I might look into these ones more! Thank you!! :)

American flagfish are cool little fish but they can be very aggressive especially the males who of course are the prettier colored ones. I wouldn't put AFF in with anything other than semi-aggressive fish and not in a peaceful community. We kept some in our smaller pond for a long time.

I would consider the albino or emerald green variety for your school of cory cats. With that black sand, they would really pop! I think your list looks good....Rivercats knows her stuff ;-)

I am so bummed! :( Since the last post I made on this thread. I had decided to move these fish to a 125. So, I'm in the process of getting that up and running... however, my local petsmart was running a sale on GBR's and Angelfish. So I grabbed 2 GBR's and 3 angels... I figured they would be alright until I got the 125 up and running.. :( Everyone seemed to be doing really well! Then today I noticed I hadn't seen the angels... found one covered in snails and another underneath a rock with some snails and the 3rd one is still MIA. I'm sure he was completely ate by snails... I don't understand what happened.. there were NO signs of aggression in the tank at all and the levels are all still good... I figured if anything went bad the Rams would have died first... :( I'm really bummed.. I did NOT see that coming!! I just don't know what happened... and so fast! I've had them in the tank for about a month!

Some of my fav fish are the red australe killifish. They look amazing and aren't aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom