Myrio heterophyllum.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added this plant to my tank. Myrio Red. My issue is that the base sens to keep rotting and uprooting itself. I have wisteria and rotala growing wonderfully but this guy doesn't seem to want to take.

I have 2 6500 bulbs. 10g tank. 6 platies.

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is approx 5ppm.

One myrio plant has a flower on out and it does open and close each day so I assume they are still getting nutrients. Is there a specific way to plant them. Due to the uprooting I am not really seeing roots anymore.

Rotting lower stems could be due to not receiving enough light, too close/tight planting, and low water flow around lower stems. Have you tried cutting off the bad bases and replanting them a touch further apart? Also your nitrate level is low. You should up it to at least 10ppm but can go up to 20ppm. Do you know your phosphate level? Also what type of ferts are you using?

They are more fairly spread out. As they uprooted I would spread them apart. I cut off the ends and replanted.

Don't know the posphate level. Don't have a rest for that.

Haven't used ferts yet cause once I changed my lighting my plants took off. Also I plan on adding cherry shrimp once my christmas moss arrives. Would the ferts not hurt shrimp... Think I might have asked that before.

would increasing my bio load get my nitrate higher?

The higher the lighting the faster plants grow which means they need more nutrients, ie; ferts. Another thing depending on how high your lighting is you really should think about using liquid carbon daily. This and ferts will do a lot for your tank. You can buy generic liquid carbon, a gallon for $27 including shipping, mix it at a ratio of 1:1 with RO or Distilled water and have 2 gallons for that price. Use it at 1ml per every 5 gallons of water and add ferts and all your plants will really take off.

No the copper in ferts will not hurt shrimp. Shrimp actually need a small amount of copper like humans need a small amount of iron.

Yes a higher bioload will increase nitrates in the long room but it can also overstock your tank and lower water quality. IMO using ferts is much better in the long run.

Ok so tuesday is fish store day lol.

I am dosing liquid carbon. Should have mentioned that. I am also using api leaf zone.

I was contemplating on putting my bn pleco in there. But I am weary. I really just want the platies and shrimp.

So I guess I shall try ferts. I assume they will provide the nitrate increase?

Most liquid carbons are mostly micro's. Leaf Zone is potassium and iron. Seachem makes a line of liquid ferts that has a Flourish Nitrogen you can get. But I would suggest getting and using Flourish Comprehensive for sure but again it is mainly micro nutrients.

Final question. Should I keep my bn pleco out of the tank? It is fully grown. I kinda want to rehome him to reduce bio load in my main tank to add some cories.

Final question. Should I keep my bn pleco out of the tank? It is fully grown. I kinda want to rehome him to reduce bio load in my main tank to add some cories.

I keep a 5" BNP in my 220g planted that has all types of soft leaf and delicate plants without issue. I do however put blanched zucchini on veggie clips every other day which she pigs out on.

Yet another question.

I have noticed on the stem above the substrate what looks like roots growing out. One has uprooted again and has some of the tiny white shoots. Will the myrio grow if it is floating? I am thinking of keying it develop some roots and then replant.

I bought the flourish comprehensive, so hopefully that works and added my bn pleco to hopefully increase nitrates.

Yes you can float it. Stem plants commonly develop aerial roots along their stem. If you find them unsightly you can trim them off with no harm to the stem.

Back
Top Bottom