Need advice on selling aquarium & pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RainyFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey folks- just joined to get some advice. Need to sell almost new 29 gal tank and Fluval 204 pump, hood, light and lid. My late husband was a real aquarium aficionado. He LOVED raising fish! We just had the set-up for a few months before he passed away very unexpectedly. I had enjoyed the almost "silent" running of this pump and the angels we had.
Now need to sell locally (northern MN). Just have no idea what he paid for it. Any ideas of what the asking value for something like this should be?
Thanks a bunch for any help you can give me!

I would check Craigslist in your area. There are usually lots of tanks listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You might check also if there is an Aquarium Society for your area. Sometimes they take donations as well for tank for rest homes, schools etc.

Are there still fish?

The tank with filter, hood and light could go for 94 new at a local retailer.

Even though there may be some decorations and gravel they don't add much to the secondary market value unless it was super special substrate like Amazonia, shrimp strattum, or other expensive item.

As a secondary sale I personally never spend more than half of retail (must be very special tank set up or reason (like the inhabitants or extra goodies to go along with it), and usually a little less.

There are often 25-33% off sales and a person can get a brand new tank for that preicing with a warranty. So I would say around 40-50% of new, only because it is newer. But realistically could be much lower than 50%.

A tank can be purchased at the dollar per gallon sale - tank only for 29$.

Sorry to hear of your loss. In the event you ever decide to become a fish aficionado yourself, you know where to come for any advice you may need!

Need advice on selling aquarium & pump

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I am a fellow Minnesotan as well. If I didn't have so many tanks I would offer to take it off your hands. My best advice to you, check craigslist and see how much similar tanks and equipment are selling for. Being that it's fairly new I would guess 60% - 66% of retail cost is fair. Usually you are lucky to get 50% back.

As autumnsky stated, tanks in that size are pretty reasonable. So it really depends on the equipment he had as well. Lights, hood, filter, any pressurized co2, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom