Need Betta Fish Care Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I have a 5 gallon tank. Soon I'm getting a betta for it, and giving my stunted comet goldfish to a forever home (things got crazy- AKA real life- and I just couldn't find time/money/space to get her a 55+ gallon tank). So I'm wondering what I need to do? Please answer these questions if you can: :oops: And anything you think I should know about betta's so I can properly care for it!
-Do I need to replace the water (Do betta's like the same as goldfish, or should I just completely dump it out and get 'pure' betta stuff to fix up the spring water?)
-I have a Whisper In-tank Filter 3i serving as my filtration for my 5 gallon. It's 'up to 3 gallons', so since it probably has a softer current for the size, would it be okay on my future betta's fins?
-The water is 75-76ish (degrees)... I know it's acceptable for a betta, but they would prefer warmer. Should I get a heater? I've heard about the adjustable temp. ones. Brand names? Thanks.

Also, what brands would you recommend (preferably found at Petco since its the closest petstore, but others are okay) for food, water conditioning, etc?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I want to be a successful betta keeper, so I would like to know as much as my little brain can take in.:thanks:
P.S. I hope I'm putting this in the right spot... I'm new, so I'm just like- "where?"

Cycling the tank is important for every kind of fish! Including bettas! However, bettas are good candidates for fish-in cycling (IMO) so that's an option if you don't mind the work.

I would replace the water just to start fresh. Bettas are not especially picky about water quality.

The filter you have should be fine for a single betta. Usually the recommendation is 5-10 times the volume of the tank circulated per hour. The Whisper 3i circulates 20 gallons per hour, which is 4 times the volume of your tank, but a betta shouldn't be too heavy of a bioload so that should be adequate.

I would recommend a heater mostly for water consistancy. Fluctuations in temperature are more of a problem than the temperature being too high or too low. I would avoid tetra 50w heaters that aren't adjustable and any of the "bowl" heaters, but any other 50w heater should be ok.

I like Hikari, Omega One and New Life Spectrum as fish food brands. Try to get a small variety of food- a staple flake and/or pellet and some treats like frozen or freeze dried bloodworms or brine shrimp.

Any water conditioner will generally do but most members here recommend Seachem Prime. It's very concentrated so even with weekly water changes a small bottle of it will last you the lifetime of your betta and probably the lifetime of several more bettas too. It also neutralizes ammonia.

This should give your betta a great life :)

Should I still do the cycling even if I still use the same rocks, filter (maybe the same cartridge, too if it's not dirty- would that help?) silk plants, etc?

Is the tank already cycled? If so, then you don't need to cycle again as long as it isn't too long between removing the goldfish and adding the betta.

And never change filter cartridges until they're literally disintegrating! If you do you may end up having to cycle your tank again. (Just rinse them in the water you remove during a water change)

Last edited:
Is the tank already cycled? If so, then you don't need to cycle again as long as it isn't too long between removing the goldfish and adding the betta.

And never change filter cartridges until they're literally disintegrating! If you do you may end up having to cycle your tank again. (Just rinse them in the water you remove during a water change)

No, I didn't cycle the tank when I got the goldfish. However, it's been 2 1/2 years that I've had her.... So does that count? If not, then should I cycle it, then?

Well I'm fairly certain your tank has cycled if you've had a goldfish in it for that long. So as long as you add a betta soon after you remove the goldfish you shouldn't have to cycle again.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I'm fairly certain your tank has cycled if you've had a goldfish in it for that long. So as long as you add a betta soon after you remove the goldfish you shouldn't have to cycle again.

:dance: It sounded like so much trouble, I'm glad I don't have to do it. I'm surprised my goldfish actually has survived so long. I feel like such an awful person for giving her such a small tank, and I hadn't cycled it before-hand. :(

I really want a male betta. I know they're aggressive, but do you think they would leave my 2-3 snails alone?? (I've heard some betta's will pick on anything and everything alive)

What kind of snails? Male bettas are a crap shoot. I have a friend with two separate male bettas in community tanks, and mine is with an aborichthys loach. But some are bloodthirsty little monsters.

What kind of snails? Male bettas are a crap shoot. I have a friend with two separate male bettas in community tanks, and mine is with an aborichthys loach. But some are bloodthirsty little monsters.

Tiger Snail, I think?? And the other two are--.... I don't know... My science teacher gave them to me because she had an over abundance.:facepalm:

Well, I would say you should be OK. Snails are usually the most inconspicuous tankmates for aggressive fish. My super-territorial shelldwelling cichlids mostly ignore them.

I have a smallll 2 gall tank with a male betta. I added 4 cherry shrimp last night. He was not happy. Woke up and he's perfectly fine with them! Lol. Java moss helps. I was freaking last night though! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be kind of late for me to say this, but I don't reccoment the tetra whisper filter. I had one for a long lost betta, and it was horrible. The pump gave off a terrible humming noise that was super loud. Maybe I just got a bad model? I've never had a snail with my bettas, so I can't help you there. Good luck with your new betta!:thumbup::p:)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom