Need halp identifying SAE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuraBoyX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey All,

I have recently begun a 75 gallon freshwater tank. After following advice from many sites, it is finally done and fully cycled and stocked.

I work in a pet supply store so I get a good deal on all my equipment. We do not sell live animals and mainly specialize in dog and cat supplies so my fish knowledge is limited and I have to shop at local fish stores for fish. After about a month this is what I have... This is an image of the 75 gallon tank (aquascaping still in progress):

attachment.php

I have happy inhabitants... But a brown hairlike algae is growing on my plants... I went to the local fish store and purchased a Siamese Algae Eater. I would like help veryfying that it is in fact Crossocheilus siamensis...

This local fish shop seems to be on the ball and knowledgable they also know I work in another pet supply store in the area (and they are aware of us and know we dont sell live animals)...

I paid $20.00 for an adult Siamese Algae Eater (about 5"). After taking him home I let him adjust to the tank temp then slowly added my water on top of his eventually letting him loose into the tank... He spent a couple hours hiding in the center cave/ornament and now is slowly staring to come out...

I took pictures of him (and plan to take more) because I am worried he may not be Crossocheilus siamensis. I need him to clean my tough algae and I really don't want to have been overcharged - IF it happened.

Below are some preliminary pictures of him:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It is tough for me because all the pictures I see online are pictures of younger fish and it is hard for me to compare...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Chris :)

From what I can see, that appears to be a healthy specimen of Crossocheilus siamensis.

BTW, your tank is very pretty.

Agreed, you have an SAE... and a nice fat one, at that! :)

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think I see some dracaena in your tank... I can't remember the common name that you see at the pet stores, but it is a non aquatic plant. Your tank is coming along nicely though!

Yupper, that's a true SAE. $20 seems a bit high, but it is a nice specimen. I would recommend you try to find about 2 more. They do very well in small groups.

Alas prior to all your kind posts I had already returned him to the store...

I have an aquaintance heavily into the hobby and he came over to see the SAE and upon first glance he saw the specimen in my tank and said "That's not a Siamese Algae Eater... That's a flying Fox." He said this almost instantly upon seeing it. I guess the yellow tinge to the fins and the large 'fat' size were the key signals for him... Was this a wrong identification? I felt bad removing him from my tank but I had thought that if he couldn't help me with my algae there was no point in keeping him especially if he could not co-exist with a true SAE... Oh well, back to the search... :(

I did do some online reading on the differences between the varieties sold as SAE - this link in particular: Algae Eating Cyprinids and it all seemed to support my friends analysis prior to bringing him back.

The fish I had had VERY yellowish fins and a slightly yellow stripe above the black line... I am not sure if that came through as much in the photos but it was the case... He almost fit the description of the False Siamese Algae eater yet the stripe went through the tail. It's all very complex. I ended up exchanging him for more otos...

Any further advice would be appreciated to help me buy one (and or KEEP one properly). My friend seemed to think a true SAE wouldn't get as big as the one I had was.

As far as the dracaena go which ones are they? Two plants I bought at Petco... Two my friend gave me. I'd like to know which ones you are referring to...

Thanks again! :)

As far as the dracaena go which ones are they? Two plants I bought at Petco... Two my friend gave me. I'd like to know which ones you are referring to...

Thanks again! :)

The ones around the stump ornament with the faces in it, and the one in front of Nemo.

Yeah those are some of the ones I bought at Petco... They came in a tube along with all their other plants. I work at an independent pet supply store so Petco is the big evil Wal-Mart type monster to us - but would they really sell plants for aquariums that shouldn't be in aquariums? If so thats cuckoo!!!

Do they pose any danger to my aquarium? I am trying to build my knowledge as I progress forward so I make as little mistakes as possible.

yes they really do, most of the "aquatic" plants at petsmart and petco are actually semi-aquatic and just rot and die under water.

they dont pose a huge danger, but they could foul up your water when they start rotting.

Back
Top Bottom