Need ideas for 5 gallon diy pond filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are putting in a pond and need some input on a diy 5 gallon pond filter.

I mean the filter will be in a 5 gallon bucket , not that the pond is 5 gallons.

Well,
You could drill holes in the bottom and have your water going into the top of it, through some filter stuff and then back to the pond (use batting, barley if you want for the algae, lava rock, etc)

I'd stay away from lava rock since it can sometimes leach heavy metals. But as zac said, anything packed into the bucket will make a decent filter. Might I suggest cutting a foam pad for the top layer so that it is easily removable/cleanable. Also start small, and work your way up. When I tried I used too much sand and had a liner between the layers which did not allow enough water to pass through.

Im sure u know all u basically need to do is pass the water through some sort of media so what biological/mechanical filtration can take place. If you have a submergible pump and u plan on running this filter sumbmerged u have it easy...
-first drill a small hole in the side of the bucket at the bottom just big enough for your tubing to fit though, you want if to fit kinda tight so that water doesnt flow through.
-Then you can get some of the white poly flow media, the stuff that looks like Air Conditioning filter, cut it so that it fits tight along the side so water cant rush around it. I would use at least 6 layers of the 1" media, and you can always add more if you need it.
-now you need to make a small stand from PVC and Egg Crate or something similiarfor your media to rest on so that it doesnt just collapse.
Then throw the pump in the bucket run your tubing and put your media in there and chunk it in the pond. If you get a lid for it you can use it as a shelf for plant, you will just need to cut several large holes in the side of the bucket with a hole saw, but make sure is it below the supportive ribs at the top of the bucket if you can, so that you can still use the handle without it breaking.

Or if you want to be really want to conserve your energy you can just drill the hole for the tubing throw in the pump and tubing... fill that bad boy with pre washed pee gravel or bioBalls, then place a couple layers of poly media on the top so too much junk doesnt get in there and call it done....

I use lava rock and have no problems, just want to wash it out really well (There is a lot of loose stuff in there too)

Thanks everyone. I have heard that lava is prone to clogging and needing to be cleaned, but the basic idea is the same. Will incorporate ideas into filter. Thanks a bunch.

It clogs quicker yes, but that also means it takes out more junk than other stuff too.

Once in a while you need to rinse it out a little.

Back
Top Bottom