Neon tetra and tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I am kinda of new to this but I have 10 gallon fully cycled and everything with a betta but I'm planning on taking him out and putting him in a few tank
And I was thinking of putting some neon and maybe glolight tetras in along with a school of tiger barbs
Would this be fine? Are they compatible? I know that barbs are fin nippers and are aggressive but ya just wanted to know. Or how about cardinal tetras so they can be a bit larger than neons

I think they'd be compatible but there wouldn't be enough room for those fish in a ten gallon. Tiger barbs should be kept in schools of at least eight and since they grow to about 2.5 inches they'd need a 20 gallon. I'd just go with a school of tetras and maybe some small bottom dwelling catfish like Pygmy Cory's or otocinclus catfish.

What would be some good fish for this 10 gallon? I was thinking crawfish

Most tetras are nice for a 10 gallon also guppies, dwarf gourami's, zebra danios and Pygmy cories

I was thinking of adding 5 neons 6 tiger barbs

Is this fine for the 10 gallon?
Do I have any more space maybe for some glolight tetras? Or a pygmy cory or oto?

Tiger barbs are like 2 year olds on pixie sticks. You need the 20 gallon because they are EXTREMELY active fish. Also if you don't get enough they will rip/nip other fish to death. I have danio's and they use EVERY inch of the 20 gallon I have them in. My poor molly is in with them, and they give her a run for her money. Go with a large school of neons and do planted. My husband wanted to steal my neons for his tank! They are very pretty along with glowlights. They shimmer and are beautiful. Tiger barbs I hear will be fine for like a day in a 10 gallon, then once comfortable will raise all kinds of he+ll. Trust us. Plus the battle for pecking order sometimes ends in a lot of ripped fins, and water quality is hard in such a small tank. You could end up with a lot of sick/stress fish in a hurry.

Haha ok thanks lol

I was actually planning planted tank with a school of neons and glolights but I also wanted to have 1 or 2 fish that were bigger than these tetras
What do you reccomend?

A pair of dwarf gouramis would be nice and there also pretty looking. You could also get a pair of platys.

Thank you!!

Ill post pics up when I'm all done
Probably wont be for a while though :/

A 10g tank has a very low stocking level. Nano fish are the best to use or a single betta which you already have. Platy's have a high bio-load, and even tho neons are small, they do grow and prefer more space as they are active swimmers. Ember tetras are smaller and do great in a 10g. Enders are small and are very colorful, a much better choice then platy's. You could do 4 Pygmy or Dwarf Cory cats. Dwarf gourami's should be kept as singles as they can become very aggressive with their own kind. Other nano fish are Scarlet Badis, Peacock gudgeons, and Sparkling gourami. Do some research on nano fish as they can make a very nice 10g. Also with many of the nano's you could have Red Cherry Shrimp and have an even more diverse tank. Also tiger barbs are not suitable for that size tank and aren't a good match for keeping with neons even in a larger tank due to aggression issues.

Ej_b1996 said:
What would be some good fish for this 10 gallon? I was thinking crawfish

Here's my 10 gallon crawfish tank. Keep in mind that he will eventually need a larger one. I love him though! I feed him rosy reds. I go get about 8 at a time. I like that I have something else swimming to look at that I don't have to be irritated if I died. :lol:

Attachments

• image-1884002234.jpg
    image-1884002234.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 100
jmay33 said:
Here's my 10 gallon crawfish tank. Keep in mind that he will eventually need a larger one. I love him though! I feed him rosy reds. I go get about 8 at a time. I like that I have something else swimming to look at that I don't have to be irritated if I died. :lol:

Whoops. They died**

So in your tank jmay you just have one crawfish? No other fish?

Wouldn't it be fine to have other fish in there because of the hiding places?

Crawfish would be a very cool idea. I'm actually looking to get one for my 10 gallon. As for other fish, they most likely will become meals eventually.

Ej_b1996 said:

Only if the tank was 55 gallons+ as crawfish are very aggressive. I've heard of other people keeping larger, more aggressive fish with them. Problem with that, is when they molt, they spend a lot of time hiding and preparing themselves, but when their actual "skin," which is actually an excretion of calcium, is shed, they are left for a few days with no protection because they have not formed their hard outer layer. If a larger fish were to go after them, they wouldn't stand a chance. Kills them really fast because their shell is so soft. If you got a dwarf crawfish, they're only about 1.5 inches in length and they don't hurt anything but live plants. I enjoy having only a crawfish in my tank. I usually put 8-10 feeder fish in there with him and I replace them when there is 2 left. That leaves something swimming around all the time, so I like that.

Ej_b1996 said:

Also, my crawfish is named Capone because he has killed so many fish. Lol.

Tetra1990 said:
Crawfish would be a very cool idea. I'm actually looking to get one for my 10 gallon. As for other fish, they most likely will become meals eventually.

You would love it!!! I love my crawfish so much. He is something I will never get rid of. Splurge and get a colored one though. :)

Back
Top Bottom