Nerite snail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dapper_cat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I just upgraded my 3.7 planted aquarium to a 6 gal so my betta had more room. It's just her and two nerite snails. I reused my filter and substrate to retain some bacteria as well as all the old decor. When I added everyone back to the tank my two snails seem to be unhappy. Since last night both snails climbed to the top of the tank and have stayed there partially out of the water. I was worried there could be a problem with the water or they are upset the tank is too clean (no algae ) so I put in a blanched cucmber and they left it to go back to the top of the tank. Should i do an emergency water change just in case ? I dont want them to die : (

First thing you should always do if you suspect there is a problem is a water change.

Can you test your water to see if there is a problem?

Any issue with the betta? I would expect a water quality issue to show in the fish first.

Maybe they are just stressed by the move. Maybe as you say, you have lost all your old tanks biofilm which they are used to browsing on.

Could there be an O2 issue and they are going to the surface for air?

I don't currently have a testing kit, but I can test tomorrow. The betta is doing really well she is happy, active and ate this morning. I'm hoping they are just mad at the loss of biofilm. As for oxygen content Its possible but i do have a strong submerged filter in the tank so there should be plenty of current to give oxygen supply but I am not sure. I think I might just do a small water change just in case.

If everything else checks out and they're still up there, try putting some food - algae tabs, sinking pellets - in a spot up front so you can see if they come down to eat.

Snails do have a sense of smell and this has worked when mine were up top for what I felt was way too long (like 5 days, which is purely me worrying, as they can survive just fine for longer).

I've found that if I physically remove them to eat, clean an area, or be in a spot where I want to keep an eye on them, they stubbornly will go straight back to where they were. They are telling me that they decide, not me. Hence the lure.

Back
Top Bottom