Nerite Snail in freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you put a Nerite snail in freshwater?

Thanks,
Bouncybubbles:D
Absolutely. They do very well in freshwater. However they can not breed in freshwater. They will lay eggs but they won't hatch. They only breed in brackish water. I have them in my planted tank and they are excellent algae eaters

Last edited:
Perfect, I don't want them to breed so that makes me happy:D are the eggs hard to clean off? I've read that they are and Do you know the best place to get them, and how expensive they are?:)

There are different types of nerites and various prices. I get mine from BobsTropicalPlants.com as they have a good variety to choose from. Some fish stores carry them.

The eggs IMO are not hard to get off. IF on the glass I just use my magnetic algae magnet that take them off. On DW if they bother me I pop/scape them off with my long tweezers or sissors. When on plants you have to leave them but they will dissolve over time. The eggs drive some people crazy but they don't really bother me.

There are different types of nerites and various prices. I get mine from BobsTropicalPlants.com as they have a good variety to choose from. Some fish stores carry them.

The eggs IMO are not hard to get off. IF on the glass I just use my magnetic algae magnet that take them off. On DW if they bother me I pop/scape them off with my long tweezers or sissors. When on plants you have to leave them but they will dissolve over time. The eggs drive some people crazy but they don't really bother me.
I can't add anything to that!!!

I can attest to the eggs on driftwood. They turned my first pieces of driftwood into sesame seed buns! LOL. So many I stopped trying to get them off. When I did a rescape I got new driftwood and evicted the Nerites. OS.

I'll chime in. I have maybe 12 nerites in my 90g and they are the bane of my existence. There are nerite eggs EVERYWHERE. Absolutely everywhere. The driftwood is absolutely coated with them, the walls, the plants, the OTHER SNAILS. Frankly I just want to get rid of them.

I'll chime in. I have maybe 12 nerites in my 90g and they are the bane of my existence. There are nerite eggs EVERYWHERE. Absolutely everywhere. The driftwood is absolutely coated with them, the walls, the plants, the OTHER SNAILS. Frankly I just want to get rid of them.

I agree. I have only 2 in a 45G and they lay ALOT of eggs. Assassin snail will kill off your nerite population.

You know I've noticed over the past few years that mine lay very few eggs in tanks that I use liquid carbon especially at higher amounts. I rarely see any eggs in my 220g where I dose high amounts of Glut. I used to think it was just a fluke but I've seen this time and again in other tanks that I use Glut at 1ml per every 2 gallons or higher. Don't know if it's my water chemistry or what.

Back
Top Bottom