New 100G long tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a tricky question about pressure. The GPH coming out of a pipe is affected by many things. This is to include how high up plumbing has to go, how many elbows are in it, if there is a split in the connection...so on. You want the GPH out of the return to match what your overflow is rated at. You always want to have a return pump rated higher than the overflow so it can be adjusted back so it matches perfectly. The more elbows and splits, the higher the return pump will need to be rated at because of this head loss. This is why your friend mentioned needed two pumps. Sometimes it can be cheaper to plumb two in rather than 1 when things start getting really large. This is something that you will have to look into and decide on your own.
There are GPH calculators out there that might be of assistance to you.

The pump I have is the aqua mag series 3 350gph but setting it up was stronger than the overflow so I put my pond pump on there and that was perfect and I paid 35 for it at home Depot ☺

So, I think I'm gonna shy away from the bigger and more aggressive fish and just fill the tank in as a huge reef with more of the "smaller," fish. I want to see my tank full of life.

IMG_0386.jpg
Also, my Ma likes projects especially anything to do with painting so since I'm up in Auburn going to school and working during the week I let her go ahead with the painting. Here's her start.

That's the way I'm doing my 125 gallon. No big fish just a reef tank with a bunch of smaller non aggressive fish and inverts

I think it'll be much more enjoyable. I've always wanted to keep a mandarin and a red dragonet. I'm gonna try to grow a huge copepod colony for about like 6 months.

IMG_0545.jpg
So I haven't updated in a while but the stand is now painted. There are two more supporting boards that we are gonna have to install in the back. Left those out so sump would fit. Also the doors still have to be installed and painted. But overall she's looking good!

IMG_0620.jpg Just another update, finished building the sump and letting the silicone dry. Some of the equipment is on its way.

IMG_0664.jpgIMG_0665.jpgIMG_0666.jpgIMG_0667.jpgso I figured now would be a great time to do another update. All equipment is almost in. Changed out the filters in the old RODI unit and started getting it pumping. The wavebox should be in by Thursday and I order my lights tomorrow. Gonna wait on the skimmer cause I have to cycle anyway and hopefully the plumbing will be done tomorrow evening. Got a buddy looking into the best way we can go about the plumbing plans.

Also not sure if I mentioned it yet but I painted the back of the tank black

Things look great.
Making your own food saves a ton. A former member Mr. X had a recipe that many others here used. He'd freeze it and it ended up costing pennies and he'd have tons that'd last an extremely long time.

Tanks looking good so far kphilly, looking forward to seeing it progress. I like the idea of mandarins, they're one of my dream fish

Back
Top Bottom