new 20 gal, looking for a good heater and filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
I jjust bought a used and in good condition 20 gallon. I am looking for a good submersible heater, with so many brands I don't know what to go with. Not very knowledgable when it comes to heaters.

For a filter, I was thinking of going with a canister or aquaclear hob/ bio wheel hob type. I'm going to be moving a severum and jack dempsey from another tank into it. They are about 4 1/2 inches each. 1 week water changes of at least 1/3 of the volume are no prob for me. I would like to go the canister route but I'm wondering which are the best canisters for their prices? If I'm gona spend the money on a canister, I would like it to be pretty decenet at least. Any advice on canisters would be greatly appreciated. Also with the hob filters, does anyone kno if the cascade filters are good?

Thanks in advance everyone,
Ben

For the heater I'd get a 100W Visi-Therm Stealth. They are black so easily hidden and do not break like glass.

Since it's a 20 gal, I'd go with a hob. A canister would be ok, but considering the tank size you'll be just fine with an AquaClear. You can skip the bio wheel entirely. Just use a sponge and ceramic rings and you're good to go.

I've never used a Cascade HOB but the Cascade Canisters are all I use. VERY simple to setup and maintain. Cleaning is a breeze. You could go with a smaller Cascade canister.

My personal opinion is go with a canister. XP2 would be a good choice IMO, although I am running an XP1 on my 20gallon with great results so far. I believe the petsmart online price is still pretty good, and if you print out their page you can pick it up locally and they'll pricematch it for you.

I agree the 100W stealth is a great, solid heater. My only regret about it is that it doesn't have an indicator light, so I have no idea what kind of duty cycle it operates on. But, it holds my tank temp rock-solid.

I also have a 20 gallon tank and I use the 100W Visi-Therm Stealth heater and it keeps my temps perfect. It is EZ to hide being that it is black.

I use the AC 50 filter and that is keeping the water really clear. I can't say anything about a canister filter since I am a NewB. and have never used one.

I hope you have as much fun setting up your tank as I have had. :)

I'm going to pickup a canopy today, and ill be out looking for a filter. Ill keep my head up for that visis therm stealth. dvanv, do you know the gph rating of the Aquaclear 50? I'm looking to go with at least a 10x turnover rate.

I use an Eheim Ecco 2232 on a 20Gallon Long.

I'm not worried about aeration since the long format has good surface area and the lack of splashing (versus a HOB) will be better for me since I am building it up as a planted tank.

dvanv said:
I also have a 20 gallon tank and I use the 100W Visi-Therm Stealth heater and it keeps my temps perfect. It is EZ to hide being that it is black.

I use the AC 50 filter and that is keeping the water really clear. I can't say anything about a canister filter since I am a NewB. and have never used one.

I hope you have as much fun setting up your tank as I have had. :)

I just ordered these exact 2 items for my 20g 2 days ago from bigals. 45 dollars shipped :)

for filtration, how about a canister filter? since its a 20 gallon, the cascade 500 model would be awesome for it. I have one and I love it!! for ehating you could do an inline heater to clear up space. all together you would be out about 90-100 bucks. but you would have aweosme equipment!

Back
Top Bottom