New Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am getting a betta. It will join my two little cories

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Best of luck. I feel so sorry for those lonely albino corys in such a tiny tank.... Seriously, you can't upgrade to a 15g? That's all they need. Then you could get the required 5-6 of them that they need to thrive

Feel sorry for them all you want. I already have a 14 gallon tank that is doing really well. Only problem is the gravel is quite big and sharp

The amount of space fish need has more to do with their activity level than bioload.

No doubt the fish are not very active in such a tiny tank - how could they be?

They look like they have plenty of room to me. One of them looks very active and happy

It's up to each of us to determine how much space out fish need to swim. Since it's their whole existence, I'm a proponent of providing more than just the bare minimum, which in this case would be a massive improvement. Thankfully, we aren't the ones that have to look at your tank every day.

In my experience keeping Corys in tanks from 10 to 90 gallons, they need a 30 inch long tank. Will they die in less than a 30 inch long tank? No. That's just my opinion based on my experience and observations.

What I've learned from experience is don't let the people that constantly reply with "your tank is overcrowded" get to you and realize that a lot of fish in a smallish tank (my 30 fish in a 10g tank for example) only means water changes more often and going through food faster

Agreed about half of mine are bottom dwellers to clean the tank between changes and about 5 guppies and 5 danios that school together (looking at it, it's closer to 20 not 30) and they all swim around with each other which is really funny to see a kuhli loach swim with a danio

They "school" together because they don't have a choice because of the tank size. If you kept those same fish in a larger tank they would have very little, if anything, to do with each other.

I used to think that Corys of different species schooled together because that's what I observed in the small tank. Once I put the fish in a large tank they segregated themselves. That's something I would never know had I not put them in the large tank.

Aquaholic, I actually did have a different species cory shoal with others. When I started I got bandit cories mislabeled as pandas and without knowing any better I bought another panda later on. He thinks he belongs with them but I'm not sure if he feels the similarity in markings is forgivable haha. I'm looking to get more of both but the lfs around here are limited with selection. Normally they would carve out their own territory (I have other species in the tank) but for some reason that little guy got the "ins" with the bandits. I'm sure if there were other pandas it would be different. Obviously it's best to keep them in species groups.

Forgot to mention that's in a 55 gallon tank so they have space to separate but they don't

In my tank I have the 5 zebra danios 7 guppies(started with 3 but the one female I have refuses to stop breeding) 2 kuhli loach 1 peppered Cory 1 July Cory 1 Chinese algae eater(mislabeled as an otocinclus) 4 platties and 2 sail-fin mollies in a 10g tank that gets 50% water change a week(25% on Sunday 25% Wednesday) and they get along grate and look happy with their fins spread out and look so beautiful until I put the fry net in(need to get a fry tank lol)

In my tank I have the 5 zebra danios 7 guppies(started with 3 but the one female I have refuses to stop breeding) 2 kuhli loach 1 peppered Cory 1 July Cory 1 Chinese algae eater(mislabeled as an otocinclus) 4 platties and 2 sail-fin mollies in a 10g tank that gets 50% water change a week(25% on Sunday 25% Wednesday) and they get along grate and look happy with their fins spread out and look so beautiful until I put the fry net in(need to get a fry tank lol)

Weren't you just posting about white spots on fish recently?

Fish do have sensations.

Bottled bacteria in your filter is not cycled. Bottled bacteria changes batch to batch at times too depending on how it was handled. Your tank likely isn't cycled.

Tank size isn't just about water quality, it's about stress.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yeah my fish had white spots but I raised the temp to about 78 degrees and they went away, I don't use any chemicals in my tank other than the one to remove chlorine from water and it was naturally cycled for 30 days with just guppies before adding any other fish. I am also 75 days without a fish dying in my tank. In another tank I maintain for my parents it has been 20 days without incident I theorize their fish die faster because they are Walmart fish and mine live longer because I refuse any fish that isn't from a pet store that I approve of(ex petzplace petsmart and oceanrift aquatics) and my sisters tank that I also maintain hasn't lost a fish in the 2 months we've had it

My C habrosus often swam with my Otos but they are patterned very similar.

In the Wild C hastatus is often found with lookalike Tetras. Serrapinnus kriegi is one. Not sure who mimics who.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my fish had white spots but I raised the temp to about 78 degrees and they went away

Not getting involved in debate cos I'm still a learner but just a question? If you lowered tank to 78 to treat white spot did this successfully work? My understanding is that temp should be much higher to kill parasite?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The ideal temp is between 75 an 85 degrees for fish to be happy if it's warmer than that and white spots appear than I would recommend going to a pet store and getting a chemical to get rid of ick then lower the temp a little to about 80 or so and a couple tank cleaning fish won't hurt either

The ideal temp is between 75 an 85 degrees for fish to be happy if it's warmer than that and white spots appear than I would recommend going to a pet store and getting a chemical to get rid of ick then lower the temp a little to about 80 or so and a couple tank cleaning fish won't hurt either

Ich appears when fish are stressed and tank conditions are less than ideal when it happens. The normal immune system in a healthy fish can fight it off pretty easily. Im honestly surprised that your fish even have anywhere to swim in your ten gallon. I honestly can't believe that you're proud of you immensely overstocked tank. Keep saying "They look really happy and like the tank" but fish can't show motion very easily and just because they are swimming around means nothing. (y)

Back
Top Bottom